ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (33/53) > >>

Curt:
@ taichimaster - Yes, it is sad that so many people don't take the time and effort to set up their security programs the proper way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the cooperation between my NOD32 3.0 and my Outpost Pro 6.0 - Outpost is doing all it is supposed to do.

Armando:
There are still a couple of applications that don't work well with Comodo's firewall.  NOD32 in its current incarnation uses a proxy to filter all the web pages email through its on-access scanner.  That means that all the connections appear as originating from NOD32, so there is no firewall filtering of connections as a result. -BinderDundat (March 07, 2008, 05:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

The NOD32 ekrn proxy doesn't just affect Comodo though.  There's been a lot of complaints about it rendering ANY firewall useless.

See: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=192305

-taichimaster (March 08, 2008, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

And that's why I'm keeping NOD32 v2.7

taichimaster:
@ taichimaster - Yes, it is sad that so many people don't take the time and effort to set up their security programs the proper way. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the cooperation between my NOD32 3.0 and my Outpost Pro 6.0 - Outpost is doing all it is supposed to do.
-Curt (March 08, 2008, 12:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Curt,

How do you like Outpost 2008 compared to Outpost 4.0 (if you have used it)?  I have upgraded to 2008 before when it first came out, but then promptly downgraded back to 4.0 since it was crashing my machine left and right.

Curt:
Yes, I too installed version 6.0 too early and had some problems at first. In fact, the problems were so big that I removed Outpost for some months and tested various others, including no firewall at all..., but finally everything came to order. I consider today's 6.0 (2008) superior to 2, 3, 4 and 5 in many ways - yes, I have been using Outpost for several years - but still I am eagerly waiting for Blockpost to be incorporated, as they have promised to do this summer. I really mean that I have no problems at all with NOD32 3.0 and Outpost 6.0 working together. Further more, I am running ThreatFire at the same time.

XP Home, x86.

BinderDundat:
It's not that NOD32 and firewalls don't co-operate, it's just that you have to choose between firewall control of your outbound connections and NOD32 filtering of the source programs.  The proxy setup for NOD32 means that you only see NOD32 as the source for connection requests in your firewall.  That makes it impossible to write firewall rules restricting connections.  You may want to have NOD32 in control of the connection, but you lose the firewall's filtering ability.  You can also choose to restrict NOD32 filtering to certain types of connections - email and browser say - but you then do not inspect the other connections for bad guys sneaking in or out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version