ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (16/53) > >>

f0dder:
BTW, something I remembered about outbound protection is that, even if f0dder point about that such ability is useless once your computer has been compromised is a good one, is that thanks to it, you can prevent the malware from sending sensitive information to its creator.
-Lashiec (January 24, 2008, 05:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
...unless the piece of malware is nasty enough that it evades the firewall/HIPS/whatever.

Target:
true enough, but doing something might help, whereas doing nothing....

target

CodeTRUCKER:
true enough, but doing something might help, whereas doing nothing....

target
-Target (January 24, 2008, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wonder... is there any evidence to suggest that some "really nasty malware" actually tries to bulls-eye some AV/firewalls?  Could ZA, etc. have some kind of a footprint that could tell malware "Yoohoo, here I am!"  If there is a substantial possibility, then maybe doing nothing would be better.  Any history to confirm/deny this possibility?

I don't have any knowledge about this, but it was what target wrote that provoked the thought.

Target:
These are my thoughts only, I have no insights into the mindset of the people that do these things, nor have I seen anything regarding this, but it seems like a logical step for a malware author to take.

Having said that, I guess it would depend on the level of difficulty involved in compromising a given piece of software, and the relative importance of doing so.

Ultimately there are likely to be many (many!) more systems that can be compromised without the extra effort than there are those that need it.  It's also unlikely that the net gain would be worth the effort (these guys <i>are</i> taking the path of least resistance after all)

Target

Lashiec:
Yes, some kind of malware can do that. Recently, they discovered a specimen that can break out of a sandboxed environment like VMware and cause havoc in the host machine. If only I could remember where I read about it...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version