topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:23 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Best free firewall for Windows?  (Read 247464 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Best free firewall for Windows?
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38 AM »
Well, then I may have to investigate my blood-line once more... My fuse is short!!

-

- is now the time to tell that I just love Ireland and the Irish? I do!  ;)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2008, 10:28 AM »
yes Curt,
I did miss the important bit of Armandos quote
thanks for the clarification(s) guys  :up:
Tom

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2008, 10:34 AM »
I am using Comodo for a while it seems great

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2008, 05:04 PM »
I've been using online Armor for a little while now and I'm very very satisfied. It is by far the best software firewall that I've ever installed on my computer. I've had some small issues with the free version -- the main one being that the free version can't save the configuration for later use... which can be annoying... So I've decided to buy (well... haven't yet, but will do when the trial period will end) the full version. The full version is really worth it. I fully recommend it. I'm running it with nod32 (v2.7). No slowdowns, no weird behavior and very good HIPS.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 05:07 PM by Armando »

Rocker452

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2008, 10:33 PM »
I like Online Armour also but with the free version every time there is an update you have to manually uninstall the old version before installing the new one and reconfigure it. They did this purposely to get you to buy it. While the price isn't bad and worth it, it still rubs me the wrong way so I'll stay with Comodo

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2008, 10:43 PM »
Thumbs up for Comodo as well

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #181 on: May 13, 2008, 12:50 PM »
I like comodo as well, but had various problems with it. Slowdowns, mostly -- but maybe has the software improved. See :

Oh! that explains much. Because Comodo with defense+ DID slow down my internet connection + 6s freeze with farr and Gridmove (both slowdowns related to INI files see this thread : https://www.donation...71.msg96875#msg96875, and this post https://www.donation...71.msg97613#msg97613 — NOD32 had a part to play, but was easily fixed, Comodo with Defense+ had the biggest part when t came to farr’s freezes). That'S the main reason why I finally decided to drop Comodo entirely, especially after reading that Comodo without Defense+ isn't worth much... See that post in this thread : https://www.donation...59.msg98810#msg98810 .

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2008, 01:11 PM »
I've gone full circle & come back to Sygate.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Dunno about Comodo - this zine (scroll down to part 7, Comodo) doesn't inspire that much confidence... I have a friend who works with security (protecting, not blackhatting) who finds these kinds of articles amusing, and URLs me every now and then :)
- carpe noctem

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2008, 04:06 PM »
Did anyone try Ashampoo Firewall Free (http://www2.ashampoo...product_2_0050__.htm).  I did for a few days on an XP machine and it seems quit easy and rather Sygate-like in a way. Not VISTA compatible though.
.merle1.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #185 on: May 19, 2008, 02:56 AM »
A new version of Online Armor was launched today: 2.1.0.85

You can get the "pro" version with a $15 rebate, using dicount code OAFEB

- and yet another new version, also with a discount-giving code to be used soon:

Use the promo code OAMAY anytime in the next 15 days and you can get $15 off any Online Armor product (except renewals).

https://www.tallemu.com/buy_now.html
-Online Armor promotion email

taichimaster

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #186 on: May 19, 2008, 04:25 AM »
Use the promo code OAMAY anytime in the next 15 days and you can get $15 off any Online Armor product (except renewals).

https://www.tallemu.com/buy_now.html
-Online Armor promotion email

Oh thanks Curt!!!  This will come in handy since my outpost firewall subscription just expired.

Sorry...a bit offtopic here, but do you happen to have discount code for NOD32 or PerfectDisk 2008 as well? :D

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #187 on: May 19, 2008, 07:27 AM »
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:31 AM by Curt »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #188 on: May 19, 2008, 01:12 PM »
Many thanks Curt!!!!  :-*

Just bought it.

What a great firewall. Seriously.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #189 on: May 19, 2008, 02:53 PM »
What is this? Some kind of virus, spreading via the web? Actually I think I understand it, because some weeks ago I said it myself: this a fine firewall. So, you're welcome!

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2008, 02:02 PM »
Firewalls? I haven't smelled smoke..oh, THOSE firewalls.

Some thoughts:
) ISTR XP's firewall doesn't stop outbound baddies.
2) Yes, I know ZA's gotten fat over the years, but I use it on all our machines. Bite-sized trouble and I also sit behind a hardware firewall, and I routinely install multiple layers of AV, anti-spyware, anti-adware, and anti-trojan screeners and sweepers in every machine I get my hands on.
III) I check all the boxes all the time.

Software I use: AVG Free, Eset NOD 32, Spybot, Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard, SpySweeper, A2 Free, ZA, AdAware, TrojanHunter, and more. Not to mention WinPatrol Plus, Prevx...guards! Seize him! OK, I'll go quietly now.
I'm not really paranoid, just kind of a-retentive thorough about this stuff. Depending on the machine, I'll even use (shudder) payware.

OEF

Well, the dust has settled a bit. I still use most of the free software on installs for friends, but have abandoned ZA for all but my Luddite friends in favor of Online Armor. http://www.tallemu.com/
A little steep on the learning curve, but I'd rather be asked. I like it well enough to put it on a machine at home that's not on my static NAT. Also, I've dumped about everything but Spybot, SpySweeper, and ESET at home; less is more, IMHO!
OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2008, 06:22 PM »
another one that popped up this morning that I hadn't seen before

<a href="http://www.goldtach.com/index.htm"> GoldTach</a> claims to be a very small, very lightweight firewall.  2 versions (free + $)

a quick google doesn't bring up anything other than download locations, so nothing about it's performance or capabilities...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2008, 09:32 PM »
You can find the results of a very good firewall challenge at the following link:

http://www.matousec....hallenge/results.php

The site tested 33 products. Complete details of the testing criteria and scoring system are given along with recommendations. Links are provided to all products tested.

The complete test suite they used for the challenge is also available for download. Handy if you want to check up on a product they didn't cover:

http://www.matousec....tware-testing-suite/

Two free products made it into the top 5: Commodo and Online Armor.

Top 5 Protection Level Scores:

1. Outpost Firewall Pro 2009 6.5.2355.316.0597

2. Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.131

3. Comodo Firewall Pro 3.0.22.349 (free) :Thmbsup:

4. ProSecurity 1.43

5. Online Armor Personal Firewall 2.1.0.131 (Free) :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 09:42 PM by 40hz »

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2008, 12:37 AM »
You can find the results of a very good firewall challenge at the following link:

That set of tests and the results posted are misleading.  What matousec was testing there is if the firewall program prevents termination of its processes using various methods of shutting them down.  Yes, it's important to make sure your firewall program is always running, but some would argue that its not the job of the firewall program to do that.  In my opinion, the firewalls that have branched out into HIPS functions like process termination protection can be more trouble than they are worth as they have to dig themselves so deep into the OS to provide those functions.

C
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:40 AM by cthorpe »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2008, 01:30 AM »
Matousec have affiliate agreements with some of the vendors.  :down:

Here's a link to another leak / kill tester service (not updated in a while though):

http://www.firewalll...tester.com/tests.php
http://www.firewalll....com/termination.php

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2008, 06:00 AM »
I am not all a fan of Matousec, because I don't fully trust his methods to be as relevant, as he would like us to think, but I don't think his affiliate deals are a problem, on this matter. One is a magazine, hakin9, and the other is the Anti Rootkit site. How can such affiliates be a problem?

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2008, 07:01 AM »
I am not all a fan of Matousec, because I don't fully trust his methods to be as relevant, as he would like us to think, but I don't think his affiliate deals are a problem, on this matter. One is a magazine, hakin9, and the other is the Anti Rootkit site. How can such affiliates be a problem?

No, I said affiliate deals with some of the software vendors.

2008-07-25_195728.jpg

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2008, 09:30 AM »
Yes, it's important to make sure your firewall program is always running, but some would argue that its not the job of the firewall program to do that.

Any security system that can be terminated without authorization is no security system at all. I really don't see how anyone can seriously advance the argument that it's not the responsibility of a security product to protect itself. That would be like having the police tell you they'll protect you, but only if the criminals say it's OK, otherwise they're leaving. ;)

In my opinion, the firewalls that have branched out into HIPS functions like process termination protection can be more trouble than they are worth as they have to dig themselves so deep into the OS to provide those functions.

Very true. But heuristic-based subsystems do have their place in a security plan. Part of the problem is that they're attempting to protect an operating system that is fundamentally insecure. HIPS may be yet another case of "putting lipstick on the pig," but until somebody in Redmond decides to audit and (potentially) rewrite something like 50+ million lines of source code, I'd like to have all options available.

That set of tests and the results posted are misleading.

I think both of you have brought up a very valuable point.  :Thmbsup:

It is always a good idea to treat any product comparison as "food for thought" rather than revealed truth. In short, take them for what they're worth - somebody's opinion.

Any "shootout" or "challenge" is based on a set of criteria. And there are as many opinions about how to test things as there are people to do the testing. There are a good number of firewall comparison tests up on the web - many legitimate, others less so. You should try to read and understand as many as possible rather than accept any one at face value. Some testing bias will always be inevitable. Legitimate studies go to great lengths to keep it to a minimum.

I don't believe the Matousec report is unduly biased to favor their affiliate's products. Relative rankings aside, their top choices pretty much reflect industry consensus. So they're not alone in their opinion. Nor do I believe they're guilty of a seriously flawed testing methodology. Even experts will disagree on how best to evaluate firewall technology.

I do think Matousec deserves some credit for being very up front about their test methodology and criteria. That's one of the reasons why someone can have an intelligent basis for disagreeing with their conclusions! ;D

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Matousec or any other security product or service. However, if Samuel Adams, Fender, or Ampeg would be interested in talking to me, I'm available!)
 ;D

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:38 AM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2008, 07:50 AM »
 (see attachment in previous post)

I never knew!

---

Did we learn elsewhere that Eset (NOD32) Security Suite is one of the best?
- matousec doesn't seem to think so:

11.gifBest free firewall for Windows?
12.gifBest free firewall for Windows?

- or is "Smart Security" perhaps something else I have forgotten about?

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:54 AM by Curt »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2008, 09:54 AM »
 (see attachment in previous post)

I never knew!

---

Did we learn elsewhere that Eset (NOD32) Security Suite is one of the best?
- matousec doesn't seem to think so:
 (see attachment in previous post) (see attachment in previous post)

- or is "Smart Security" perhaps something else I have forgotten about?

Edited for spelling

Hey Curt.

You lost me here. Where are you going with this? :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 09:56 AM by 40hz »