ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

<< < (26/53) > >>

Curt:
The only two problems I have found after the first 24 hours of using Online Armor Free are 1) ....-And 2) that Online Armor is too intrusive when I want to uninstall some program. Why on earth must it know if it is okay that I am running an uninstaller? -Curt (January 29, 2008, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

This mis-feature turned out to be too much for me. The final nail was when I wanted to remove IconBee and had to confirm 3 times that I really wanted to remove the thing! Online Armor is way too intrusive for IT testers.

Online Armor too has left the building...  :down:

ciderman:
Hello!

Curt and Darwin, i am sorry to hear that you had problems with Online-Armor.

To Curt that is the Hips side of the Online-Armor which is doing that. I agree that it can be annoying at times, but then again i dont install/uninstall lot of programs. If i do, i use the learning mode, because this way it doesnt pop up...well i am cheating a bit  :)

Darwin:
Hi ciderman - my experience with OnlineArmor was generally positive, but the serious hit that it made on my processor means that it was not a viable option for my computer. Also, to add insult to injury (in my case), I discovered this morning that OA's uninstall routine had left a dll and the OAGUI.exe file on my system and both were still set to run at startup! Thus, they were still running in the background this morning and I had to use Unlocker's delete on next system start to get rid of them. These were in the C:\program files\Tall Emu\Online Armor folder, Curt - you might want to see if they are lurking on your system still!

Curt:
Thanks for the headup, Darwin, but No, I removed the folder at once when I uninstalled the program, and besides, I am using a startup manager.

But I too will like to make it clear that I found Online-Armor to be quite a good firewall, only, I had this one or two items...

Target:
I've just been browsing over at wilders and been reminded about the the NVidia NForce firewall that came with my motherboard

I used this for a while but switched (for no good reason that I can remember), now i'm wondering if it might be worth going back to...

anyone else got any feedback or experience of this app?

Target 

update - hmmm, after a little googling it doesn't seem like this is a particularly good option (though personally I don't recall it ever being a problem)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version