ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best free firewall for Windows?

(1/53) > >>

lanux128:
seems like there's an active interest in firewalls lately..

Best free firewall for Windows? - Ask DLS

[link from downloadsquad.com]

Gothi[c]:
Well, sygate was indeed the best firewall i ever used for windows. RIP. I'd recommend anyone to try and find a copy of it. ZA, while it works for many people, is a bit too bloated, and I can't stand the newbieware approach of it :P sygate was VERY lightweight, and it worked great. But something tells me the responses there didn't cover all the firewalls out there. There may be one or two or three or more firewalls out there that aren't as popular as the before mentioned but still good.

app103:
Sometimes the firewall you choose depends on the software you plan on running.

If you plan on using IRC, forget Norton, it will block you from IRC for no good reason whenever it pleases.

I loved Zone Alarm, but had to ditch it after it kept kicking everyone out of the chatroom I host on my pc. (took awhile to figure out that was the problem)

Some firewalls just don't get along with some things you may want to do. So make 2 choices and use the second one if you find software not getting along with your first choice.

lanux128:
So make 2 choices and use the second one if you find software not getting along with your first choice.-app103 (November 07, 2006, 12:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
this is the reason i had asked here about an alternative firewall.. now, i've made my choices: Windows Firewall followed by ZA.

f0dder:
If you plan on using IRC, forget Norton, it will block you from IRC for no good reason whenever it pleases.
-app103 (November 07, 2006, 12:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
And IIRC (grin) it was also Norton that would BSOD if anybody on IRC wrote some special command (from a list of commands that Norton was monitoring because they were used by zombie bots).

Personally I've stopped using software firewalls; I depend on my NAT'ing router to keep incoming traffic away, and Kaspersky to keep malware from running. Of course I can't detect "phone home" in regular software that way, but oh well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version