ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Firewall

Outpost and WinXP SP2

<< < (5/5)

tenseiken:
More info about Agnitum's support (or lack thereof).  I got an email today, 9 days after the original support ticket was started, saying that my question had been passed to the developers.

Ho-kay.

I think I may just do without a software firewall for a while too.  I figure making it through my router would be tough enough for most malicious people.

mouser:
that sounds like the official agnitum tech support team i remember, lol.
you'd think if they have these form letter replies the least they could do is send them to you more expiditiously.

ps.
imho hardware firewalls/routers are useless for almost every possible danger you should be worried about.
if you are an isp at risk for denial of service attacks, a hardware firewall is important, but for a home user, they are useless, and a software firewall is what you need.

Scott:
More info about Agnitum's support (or lack thereof). I got an email today, 9 days after the original support ticket was started, saying that my question had been passed to the developers.-tenseiken (June 17, 2005, 06:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's about what happened to me last time I sent an email.  Then I waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And waited.  And waited some more.  Then I sent a follow-up.  Still nothing.  This was months and months ago.  Agnitum can kiss my ass.

Regarding not running a software firewall...  Give me a break.  Software firewalls are more a threat to me than malware is.  I've never had malware make my system crash over and over, suck my wallet dry, or waste my time the way software firewalls have.  Besides, the real malware can bypass them all anyway.  Routers are indeed useless for outbound stuff, but they're very useful for blocking typical threats from the outside, which is still a big deal these days.

tenseiken:
Yeah, I've already sent one follow-up and they responded to that saying basically the same thing they said again in the email I got today.  So I suppose that this is twice now that my question has been sent to the developers. *sigh*

And yeah, I know that the router doesn't do anything about outbound traffic, but I think I'm pretty good at keeping that in check on my own.  I always keep an eye on what processes I'm running, and I look into anything that doesn't look right.  Inbound stuff is what I worry about--and given the trouble I have to go to to allow FTP clients to connect to my server over the router, I really doubt that someone could just bust in without my permission.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version