ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature suggestion: search and replace

(1/3) > >>

rjbull:
Thought I'd posted this, but must have only hit Preview instead of Post.

Mouser,

Not sure how useful it would be, but how about search and replace?  I'm not thinking of regular expressions here, just simple syntax like the basic mode of "Ministry of Truth" (which can do a whole lot more):

atm=at the moment
fwiw=for what it's worth
etc.

mouser:
there is powerful search and replace within a single clip, but do you meant for a whole set of clips?

rjbull:
there is powerful search and replace within a single clip, but do you meant for a whole set of clips?
-mouser (November 04, 2006, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I'd overlooked that, but I meant the ability to apply several search-and-replace pairs in one pass on one clip, so you could change many strings in one go.  If there needs to be a limit on the number of pairs, maybe 30 should be enough.

mouser:
thats a good point.
actually you know chs has a way to apply an external program/script on a clip through a menu.
a great way to do what you want might be to write a perl script to do this, and then add it to your chs text formatting menu.

superticker:
-mouser (November 04, 2006, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
... I meant the ability to apply several search-and-replace pairs in one pass on one clip, so you could change many strings in one go.
-rjbull (November 04, 2006, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
The existing Find and Replace function can change all instances of a lexical string.  But you would have to define a preset for each string replacement.

Are you saying you would prefer to have a glossary of established string replacements (equivalents)?  If so, AceText does this now.  Checkout its description at http://www.acetext.com/im.html

AceText goes one step further allowing multiple glossaries.  For example, DVM could be defined as:

dvm=Digital Volt-ohm Meter
dvm=Doctor of Vet Medicine

and depending on the most recent context, the appropriate glossary would be used.  This feature was really designed for use in Instant Messaging where abbreviations are common.

I'm wondering where one should draw the line between what AceText does and what a clipboard enhancer (like CHS) does?  In a perfect world, the clipboard enhancer would support plug-ins, and one could install an AceText plug-in (or even a glossary plug-in) if they really needed this feature.

I think the reason there are soooo many different clipboard enhancers is because the end-user's expectation of them is not clear.  The ideal solution would be to have just a few clipboard enhancers with many simple, compatible plug-ins for them.  Then the open-source community could concentrate on writing simple plug-ins rather than reinventing the clipboard enhancer.  Firefox extensions are an example of this.

The problem with plug-ins is that someone has to invent a COM or DLL API model for them and published it so open-source third-parties can download the SDK and develop them.  Who takes this leadership role is unclear.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version