ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's better: modern built-in motherboard sound chip or old sound card?

(1/8) > >>

mouser:
Any thoughts on this issue?
I have a 1yt old motherboard with built-in sound, and a 5-10 yr old pci creativelabs lowend sound card.
Which is likely to be better?

tinjaw:
It depends on the sound chips involved. The one on the mobo is probably just as good if not better.

vegas:
Instinct would say the newer onboard sound is better.  But you could just install them both (without conflict hopefully) and see which one sounds better.

f0dder:
Onboard sound seems to have become pretty nice in the recent years - intel seems to have been doing a lot of nice work there.

Main problem with onboard sound is that it can be pretty noisy because of EMI... dunno if they've been able to fix that. I wouldn't mind getting rid of my Audigy next time I upgrade, creative aren't known for doing the best drivers in the world...

perhaps I shoudl just get a decent DAC and use digital out from my mobo, no noise there :)

Josh:
What sound card do you have to throw in there and what is the onboard audio that is on the board? It all depends. I have an on-board audio chipset that rivals my SB Audigy 2 ZS. The quality, at least to me, is unnoticably different

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version