ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

IE7 Rant

(1/8) > >>

Renegade:
Well, it looks like my venture back into IE and IE7 is about to end. I haven't had time to try out FF 2.0, and I'm not about to as 1.5 is working fine (i.e. I've heard of stability issue so let's wait & see...)

But for IE... I've just about had it. I'm getting really sick of it. It's not the memory hog that FF is, but it's just slow. New tabs take too long. The mouse gesture plug-in is incredibly awkward. I just don't have time for it anymore.

On top of that, I found an annoying CSS bug in the System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser object that just really ticks me off (not sure if it's the IE team's fault or the .NET team's fault - and I don't care much - it's still a problem).  >:( I spent an entire day trying to track it down. No luck. That wasn't an 8 hour work day - that was from the time I got up until now - late at night and into beer time.  :beerchug:  These things should take 2 hours max. As it stands, this stupid bug will probably take me DAYS to work around. It should take me zero seconds. If I'm lucky, I might be able to have a crummy semi-work around to do the absolute minimum that I need by abandoning the object and going with some static junk that might take me 1~2 days. Not a happy camper here...

I'll give IE a bit longer, but not much. It's seriously wearing on my nerves now.  :mad:

I really hope that the IE team gets on top of it and seriously fixes IE. I don't give a about security in IE. IE security is never as bad as the media makes out, and even when it is bad only twits that surf garbage sites get hammered by that. I just want things to work smoothly. IE7 isn't doing that at the moment. If anyone from the IE team is reading - PLEASE SPEED IE UP! And fix the WebBrowser object too - or go and complain to the .NET team about it. (3dlight and darkshadow scrollbar items don't display in the WebBrowser object at all.)

So... How is everyone else finding IE7 so far? Better than me I hope.  :-\

Renegade:
Oh - another thing... Selections just completely suck if you resize the text. Beyond inaccurate, they're just silly. To reproduce it, press CTRL and scroll your mouse wheel then make a selection. It's just total non-sense.

cranioscopical:
How is everyone else finding IE7 so far? Better than me I hope.
--- End quote ---
I don't have the programming skills to bump up against the kinds of issue that you define.
I was mildly amused/annoyed when, after downloading and installing final 7, the next appearance of automatic updates insisted that it wanted to install... final 7. (I know I could have forbidden that but didn't feel like sorting out whatever mess might have ensued.)
Off topic, but while I have your ear, I was using floating ruler yesterday. Thanks for that.

mouser:
ive been growing more and more fond of FF (v1.5), but i have to say that starting it is sooo slow that i either have to keep it running at all times, or suffer each time i launch it.  IE does not suffer this issue.  Hopefully FF2 will improve this.

app103:
Oh - another thing... Selections just completely suck if you resize the text. Beyond inaccurate, they're just silly. To reproduce it, press CTRL and scroll your mouse wheel then make a selection. It's just total non-sense.
-Renegade (November 04, 2006, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I tried this with AOLex/IE 6. Didn't get to the part where you try to select text yet, when I noticed something weird:

IE7 Rant

Second image is one click of the scroll wheel smaller.

It is reproduceable...on your post...even in just plain IE 6. (I had to see if it was an AOLex issue) I have never noticed something like this happening before.  :huh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version