topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What programming language is paying your rent this month?  (Read 3610 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What programming language is paying your rent this month?
« on: November 04, 2006, 02:34 AM »
Interesting survey over on The Code Project.

If you want to participate, scroll down to the bottom of the page and pick your choices. Note that you can select more than one language.

Results are here: http://www.codeproje...etail.asp?survey=613

I found it very interesting that C# 2.0 and Delphi were the top 2 in the results.

I didn't think Delphi was as popular as that. I mean I have always loved Delphi, but my experiences in the programming communities that I am a part of, were that most people in the groups were coding in C/C++....with C# coming in second.

With me being the Delphi programmer of the bunch, usually made me feel like the 'white elephant' because nobody else was using it...or even worse, hated it and classed me as some lower lifeform for not only using it, but liking it.

I am glad to see that it's much more popular than I thought. I was beginning to feel like I made a mistake with choosing it as my first language to learn in depth.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What programming language is paying your rent this month?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 04:57 AM »
Delphi is a very good product and will be around for years. It has a solid footing in corporate development. Yes, I am biased. I worked for Borland for many years and was a Certified Borland Delphi Client Server Developer and a Senior Developer Support Engineer for the Dephi product. If you search Amazon for "Chaim Krause", you will also find a book in which I was a co-author on Delphi.

Anders built Delphi. The same Anders that moved to Microsoft and built C#. You can think of it as taking the lessons learned while building Delphi and doing it all over again with C instead of PASCAL. From what I have heard, if you grok Delphi at the deepest level, the switch to C# is without pain.

Delphi makes an excellent first language. PASCAL was created for the purpose of instruction in computer science and Delphi makes is object oriented. It also has solid database support.

Although most of my programming these days is in Java, PHP, or Python, I still have a soft spot for Delphi.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What programming language is paying your rent this month?
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 07:52 AM »
Programming doesn't pay my rent, my parents do. But currently, what makes me work hard is php+html, C (yes, not cpp, my professors are that retarded) and MySQL.