ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

LangaList is merging with Windows Secrets

(1/1)

Lashiec:
I just received the latest newsletter from Windows Secrets, with the news summarized in this topic title (which, by the way, is the subject of the newsletter ;D). This makes Windows Secrets almost the ultimate newsletter for those interested in all things Windows, and it makes me wonder how could Brian Livingston could first enroll Woody Leonhard and now Fred Langa... So what do you think? I personally feel that, although it's a good thing, I fear that most of the newsletter content will only be accessible to premium subscribers, and that normal folks will lose lots of information (as it happens now with current Windows Secrets). If this also affects Fred Langa work (that is, his tips and tricks only accessible to premium subscribers), it might be a lose situation for those subscribed to his newsletter.

mrainey:
A dollar a month for the premium content shouldn't break the bank.

mouser:
very interesting.. i wonder what the rationale behind the merge was.. anyone know?

Carol Haynes:
According to Fred Langa he was finding it too difficult to keep up with the workload (being a one man band) and he wanted to make use of WindowsSecrets distribution and office staff.

Since I already subscribed to both for premium content I think it is a win-win situation. The only danger I see is that either newsletters will become too long or content will be reduced to allow for the fact that they now have three heavies writing for it.

I found it strange that Woody stopped writing his own Woody's Watch (many of those are now written by others) but I thought that was after the Boxing Day Tsunami (Woody lives in Thailand) - but it is strange he hasn't really returned fully to his own fold but rather combined with Brian and Fred.

Lashiec:
In the newsletter, it comes a link to a Chris Pirillo post in Lockergnome talking about the merging, with answers by Brian Livingston himself. Apparently, poor Mr. Langa was having TOO MUCH work with the newsletter, I mean, he was managing EVERYTHING all by himself (he didn't even had a service to take care of the registration...)

I too fear the situation Carol talks about... Both newsletter are full of content, and if they're aiming to make it weekly... but Mr. Livingston also mentioned that he was going to hire a full time editor to lower some amount of job

A dollar a month for the premium content shouldn't break the bank.
-mrainey (November 03, 2006, 06:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe not yours, but mine actually is looking BAD (university expenses ;D)
And my new computer will have to wait a couple months (not to mention the shareware software I wanted to buy, and a possible DonationCoder donation). At this rate, I will become a top poster whitout even contributing a single dollar... :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version