ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Download and play Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2), a free, open-source game

(1/3) > >>

KenR:
Here is a stunning, free first person shooter. There are versions for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Numerous screen shots will show the quality of the rendering engine. The game might take a while to download, however, as the files/downloads are over 100 MB.

Sauerbraten (a.k.a. Cube 2) is a free multiplayer/singleplayer first person shooter, built as a major redesign of the Cube FPS.

Much like the original Cube, the aim of this game is not necessarily to produce the most features & eyecandy possible, but rather to allow map/geometry editing to be done dynamically in-game, to create fun gameplay and an elegant engine.

The engine supporting the game is entirely original in code & design, and its code is Open Source (ZLIB license, read the docs for more on how you can use the engine)...

--- End quote ---

http://sauerbraten.org/

from www.stumbleupon.com

Lashiec:
Looks impressive, but what are the minimum requirements? I don't want to download 100 MB for nothing, I already did that yesterday with another (bigger) game, and it didn't pass the title screen. And I don't see anything in the documentation...

f0dder:
That looks pretty nifty, especially for something free.

EDIT: runs very well here, GeForce6600 pci-e card.

Graphics are about same quality as quake - with cute bumpmapping and water shaders, but less advanced lighting I think. And q3 has 'curved surfaces', don't think this has.

Levels load blazingly fast.

Gothi[c]:
Tested it on ubuntu with an ATI x550 card, runs fine, but very buggy.
Like f0dder said, graphics are nice, but I experience some strange artifacts here and there.
And the game totally locked up the computer needing a hard reboot when i exited it.
It may be my 3d card drivers.... but the game itself ran very smooth, seems to need  a little more work tho.

Lashiec:
Bump mapping? Shaders? I think my card can handle the former, but not the latter... :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version