ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Best way to protect hard drive that is only used for backup?

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
I just had a thought...if I have multiple hard drives in my computer, and one of them is used only for weekly backups.  What is the best way to protect this drive from being modified except for the purposes of backing up?  I don't want to accidentally add or delete anything from the drive, or get confused and think this is one of the other drives and accidentally do something.  I wouldn't even mind if I couldn't even see the drive in my list, except for when I was backing up stuff.

PS This might be kind of an unrelated question, but will I run into any problems if I use the same "bay" for 2 different hard drives when backing up?  Like if I swap the drives once a month?  Will I confuse the computer as to which drive is occupying that space?  Or does it not matter at all?

mouser:
you shouldnt have any problems using the same bay for dif drives, i do it all the time. nothing should get confused.  just make sure you use whatever procedure you need to for the swapping hardware.  ie: ide drives in racks need the machine to be rebooted, usb externals need you to use the windows system tray thing to disconnect hardware.

as for accidentally deleting stuff, you could give it clear long name or something.  it's good you are aware of this possibility.  one regularly hears stories of people formatting the wrong drive.  the best cure for this is to pause before you are doing anything serious and ask yourself, am i sure this is the right drive i am about to erase..

superboyac:
Good to hear, mouser, thanks.  To be honest, knowing myself, I don't think I'll ever have the problem of accidentally erasing or formatting large quantities of files.  But I wouldn't mind being able to somehow "lock" the drive except for the times when I backup.  No big deal though, I'm not too worried.

As far as swapping, I'm going to use SATA drives, so I've learned that you can just hot swap them, which is cool!

You know, if there is any interest, I may write a short article of the details of my backup solution once I finish everything.  It's nothing fancy, but there might be some people who would like to read it.  I'll include pictures also.  I know I've started 2 or 3 threads that are related to my quest for the perfect backup solution.

mouser:
please do write one!

NeilS:
As far as swapping, I'm going to use SATA drives, so I've learned that you can just hot swap them, which is cool!
-superboyac (November 01, 2006, 05:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing to watch out for here is that some SATA controllers don't register drives being connected while the machine is running, for some bizarre reason. I don't think it's hugely common, but my new mobo, which has 3 different SATA controllers, recognises hot-connected drives on two of the controllers, but not on the third.

I expect you'll be fine, but you might want to check it works before splashing out on drives.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version