topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: eMail Client Platform Independent Duplicate E-Mail Removal  (Read 4426 times)

soulfulwriter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I get lots of e-mails and most of them are not junk anymore (good anti-spam filters). However, many of them are duplicates and I end up spending a large amount of time deleting the duplicates since they affect the disk space in the long run. Although I've found some commercial Duplicate email Removal tools, they only work with MS Outlook e-mail clients. I usually use Incredible. I don't know how easy or hard it would be to create a utility to scan and delete duplicate e-mails based on variables such as date, time, from, subject, and to. If all variables are equal, delete -1, else, prompt for action.

I hope that this community's coder wizards come up with this utility soon. Thank you.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 05:01 AM by brotherS »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: eMail Client Platform Independent Duplicate E-Mail Removal
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 05:06 AM »
I get lots of e-mails and most of them are not junk anymore (good anti-spam filters). However, many of them are duplicates
I'm afraid this task is far too much for a coding snack. I suggest Google Mail: when I get duplicate emails, Google Mail groups them together as one, hinting with "(n)" (where n is the number of duplicates) how many duplicates were grouped.

Google Mail =  :up:

soulfulwriter

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: eMail Client Platform Independent Duplicate E-Mail Removal
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:08 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion. Do you mean gmail, the online e-mail client? I already have an account with gmail. However, I like to retrieve my messages and view them offline, locally. I guess I'd better learn programming so I can create my own utilities and share them here later. I'll upload it in X years!  :Thmbsup: