topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 1:54 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Repairing Windows XP (to restore AutoPlay)  (Read 14601 times)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Repairing Windows XP (to restore AutoPlay)
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:44 PM »
I've been desperately trying to get AutoPlay to work on my Windows XP SP2 system without success.  I tried the Microsoft AutoFix utility (search for "AutoPlay" on http://www.microsoft.com/downloads), and it acknowledges the problem, but says it can't fix it.  I then tried the Microsoft knowledgebase articles discussed at http://support.gatew...es/2-748931857.shtml without success.  I'm now down to item# 6 in their list, reinstall Windows XP.

My problem is that I'm running WinXP Pro SP2 (stand alone license), but the original distribution disk is SP0 for this system.  So what's my options?

A colleague told me I need to slipstream the original distribution CD to SP2, burn the slipstreamed image on a CD, then run a Windows XP repair from that burned CD.  Does this sound like the best plan of action?

BTW, if there's an easier way to debug AutoPlay to locate the exact failure in the Windows event chain, please suggest it.  Except for AutoPlay and the slow startup of .NET Framework 2.0 on login, this system is working well.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Repairing Windows XP (to restore AutoPlay)
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 12:42 AM »
did you disable any services?
it requires shell hardware detection.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 12:48 AM »
is anything guaranteed to work?

i've recently set up a new system for a friend - all brand new hardware, brand new xp pro - does it autoplay? nope.

it will if you stick a usb device in but it won't with cd/dvd regardless of the optical drives you use.

so, if this can happen with a new install, are you going to face a similar situation if you try a reinstall of your system?

only one way to find out.

i wish i had spotted whether the autoplay worked up until a certain piece of software was installed but it's too late now.

i wish you all the success i can, superticker, and if you do find the solution - please, please, please, post it here.

(i admit i've not tried those methods you've been through so i'll have to give them a go.)

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 01:24 AM »
did you disable any services?
it requires shell hardware detection.
The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.  A colleague suggested that it might be corrupted somehow.  Can I simply delete the svchost.exe executable in Safe Mode and have Windows decompress a fresh copy from a *.cab file?  My colleague was suggesting running a Win XP repair from the slipstreamed WinXP CD.

It's weird because when I plug a CD into the drive, ACCSee 7.0 does recognize it, but that's about all.  If I plug my U3 Smart flash drive into it, it detects and mounts it okay, but the launchU3.exe starts, but then quits.  It's almost like AutoPlay is working, but the executable image it invokes dies after 0.25 seconds.  Very strange.  I really need a debugger for looking at the OS events pertaining to this.  What OS-aware event-tracking debugger is most popular for Windows?

The log file of the MS AutoFix utility writes:
AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2006-10-27 12:54:19]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]
[Lines deleted]
Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [F:\, Drive Type: 0]:
    Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
    Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
        Service (Silent)
        Shell (Deaf) }
    >> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
      Step: No steps to take.
      Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None
... which makes me think the svchost.exe service image is corrupted somehow.  It's like it isn't responding completely even though it's up and running.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:26 AM by superticker »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 01:48 AM »
I can't for the life of me imagine why anybody would want autoplay installed :)

If you end up needing to reinstall (last resort!), I'd recommend checking out www.nliteos.com to handle the slipstreaming process - it can also do a lot of tweaking, but you don't need to do that. Together with the SP2 upgrade and the latest pack from http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/ , you get a base install that's very up-to-date.
- carpe noctem

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 02:07 AM »
Can I simply delete the svchost.exe executable in Safe Mode and have Windows decompress a fresh copy from a *.cab file?

no i dont think you can manually replace svchost.

My colleague was suggesting running a Win XP repair from the slipstreamed WinXP CD.

thats a good idea.

1. try Restore Defaults
right click on your drive>properties>autoplay

2. XP Powertoys.

go to type and handlers, try toggle it on and off, may be it can self-corrected after playing with it.
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 02:18 AM »
Btw it's probably not svchost itself that's a problem - it's a relatively trivial service managing app, loading service DLL or EXE files. The problem is most likely registry setting based, as a corrupt .exe or .dll file would very likely give much worse problems...
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 08:23 AM »
Try installed DVDidle (there is a trial version). That has an option to disable and re-enable Autoplay so you may be able to 'disable' it and then re-enable it!

http://www.dvdidle.com/

It is a useful util in its own right if you need to unlock region encoding on DVDs or remove Sony 'rootkit' possibilities and also allows caching of DVD and CD playback to cutdown on CD/DVD reading 'drive' wear. The Pro version also provides decryption of DVDs.

See the version comparisons:

http://www.dvdidle.com/compare.htm
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 08:28 AM by Carol Haynes »

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 11:32 AM »
BTW it's probably not svchost itself that's a problem - it's a relatively trivial service managing app, loading service DLL or EXE files.
I got AutoPlay working.  You're right, it wasn't svchost.exe.  I did try renaming that executable only to find Remote Procedure Call (RPC) services died.  Apparently, Windows fails to replace it with a fresh version from a *.cab file.  Perhaps it's not important enough for auto cab-file replacement.

The problem is most likely registry setting based, as a corrupt .exe or .dll file would very likely give much worse problems...
Right again.  This problem started after I uninstalled WinAmp two years ago.  I installed CCleaner today and it removed some obsolete CLSID registry entries (old Windows ActiveX controls for Windows Explorer).  I then compressed the registry.

Now AutoPlay works.  I can't understand why that would have made a difference (perhaps someone could explain) or why MS AutoFix didn't fix it, but I'm glad it's working again.

Well, back to my original problem (which I never mentioned).  I can't get launchU3.exe to continue running on my U3 Smart flash drive.  I thought it was because AutoPlay wasn't working (which could have been a factor), but launchU3 continues to quit.  Well, this is a new topic; let's not discuss it here.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:35 AM by superticker »