topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:54 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IRC DAY 7/29 and 7/30  (Read 9631 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
IRC DAY 7/29 and 7/30
« on: July 22, 2005, 09:59 PM »
We have had a DonationCoder.com irc channel for quite a while now  (#donationcoder on efnet).

[irc is like an instant messenger client but made for rooms of lots of people, and its got a long fun history].

But the channel is almost always empty.  That's ok but I thought we should at least make an effort to help people who want to try visiting the channel.

So, i'd like to suggest that next friday and saturday (July 29+30), will be DonationCoder.com irc day.
Anyone curious about irc or chatting in a channel with other people, please mark your calendars .

Follow ups to this thread over the next couple of days will include instructions and guidelines for installing an irc client and connecting to our channel.

So stay tuned for more help to follow, and join us in the channel any time!

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 09:31 AM by mouser »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IRC DAY 7/29 and 7/30
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2005, 04:05 AM »
nice idea to have a special day.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2005, 01:20 PM »
I dropped into the IRC channel once, and there was lots of heavy-duty dev jargon floating around.  I hung my head in shame and immediately disconnected.  :(

Kidding...  I didn't really disconnect immediately.  :)
« Next Edit: Tomorrow at 12:13:47 AM by Scott »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2005, 01:55 PM »
one main thing to remember about irc is to learn to appreciate idleing.
sometimes one just connects to a channel, says hello and idles.
ie you just hang out in the background not talking, just listening.  it's one of the nice things about irc.

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Whenever I've used IRC at all, I've encountered one of the following two scenarios:

* The channel is almost empty, and nothing is being said.

* The channel has 3/4 of the human population in it, and there are so many intermingled conversations, you have no idea WTF is going on.

Maybe it's just me.   :-[

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 05:16 PM »
You must feel very important, with everybody trying to talk to you at once.  Like Jim Carrey being God in Bruce Almighty.

Jeff

Scott

• Resident Googler
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 05:48 PM »
Yes, I'm so conceited and moronic, I actually think that everyone on IRC is talking to me, and me alone.

Massada

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 07:25 PM »
lol -

i will endeavor join #donationcoder to meet you guys. sounds like a 1337 group of c0d3rs gathering ....... w000t w000t .......

i ph33r  awakening the pass; but omg - wth is life without a little fun.

now i am wondering which one of my of my PCs has my old mirc scripts on it .......  maybe everyone, including myself, will be safer if I just install Chatzilla into my firefox browser.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2005, 08:06 PM »
don't deny yourself, mirc all the way.

Massada

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 08:24 PM »
hahah - right on :D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2005, 03:29 PM »
Instructions for connecting to the #donationcoder channel on irc

Ok so connecting to irc is not so difficult.

The first thing you need is a program to do it, often called an irc client.

One of the most popular irc clients, and the one i use is a shareware program called mirc: http://www.mirc.com.
The download page for mirc is here: http://www.mirc.com/get.html

The rest of these instructions are for the mirc client, but you should be able to figure out how to use them to connect to the channel with a different program too, and perhaps other people can post instructions for other clients.

The basic idea of irc is not complex once you understand the basics.

First i'll give you the summary: you want to Connect to Any Server the EFNET network, and then join the #donationcoder Channel.

Now some more details:

Unlike instant messenger programs, in irc you rarely connect to a single person.  Usually you join "channels" which have multiple people in them; often you will be in many channels at the same time.

But before you can join any channels you must connect to a SERVER.  A server is giant collection of channels, thousands of them.
Now, try not to let your brain explode when i tell you that each server is part of a specific NETWORK.
There are thousands of servers, but only a few different networks.
Think of a network as a universe.  All the channels in a network are shared between all the servers on that network.

So if i tell you to meet me in the #donationcoder channel, it doesn't matter what server you choose to use to get there, but that server needs to be part of the EFNET network (where I hang out), otherwise you will be in a different universe and you won't see me when you go into the alternate reality channel on that network (maybe you will discover an alternate reality mouser who is better than me, i don't know).

To summarize: you want to Connect to Any Server the EFNET network, and then join the #donationcoder Channel.

Ok so when you first start mirc youll want to fill in your info in the dialog that pops up.  You don't have to (shouldnt?) fill in your real name and email, it's not important, just pick a nickname.

There is a great website to help beginners on irc, and it has a very gentle introduction to mirc with pictures here: http://www.ircbeginn...om/ircinfo/mirc.html

After you fill in your nick name, click on the "Servers" item in that dialog.

Select "EFnet" from the "IRC Network" dropdown list.

Then from the Servers list you are just going to try different servers until you find one that lets you connect.  Yes, it's a bit odd that there are so many here but some won't let you connect, but that is the way of irc.  So just select EFnet and a server near you and try it - if it won't let you connect, try another.  That beginners intro to mirc page above may help explain it better.

Ok so to try a server, just hit the "Connect to Server" button and wait while mirc tries to connect.  It will tell you what its doing and it's results.  If it fails to connect, just choose File -> Select server from the menu and try another server.

Once you connect you should be shown a list of some (but not all) of the channels on the server.  Remember you can (and most people are) be connected to multiple channels at the same time, they will appear as separate windows.

If you don't see the channels list dialog, hit the thirst button that looks like a folder with a # inside it.

Type in #donationcoder for the channel name and hit the Join button.

If you want to make it easier to join in the future, click the ADD button instead and add a permanent entry for #donationcoder (don't worry about the other options in the Add Channel dialog, just type #donationcoder for name and description and hit OK); after that you can just double click on #donationcoder to join it.

That's all there is to it!

The channel will never be empty - there are always a few of us in there, so if you join and don't see anyone, probably you did something wrong like you didnt join the EFnet network.

See you there, and please post any further suggestions.

If you are a real novice and succeed, post a note about any difficulties you had for others to learn from.

And if anyone feels like writing a little tutorial for how to connect using one of the alternative free irc clients or instant messenger tools, please do.  I'll make this into a web page later.

Good luck and please join us in the channel any time, and especially this friday and saturday!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 03:31 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 06:53 AM »
irc weekend is almost over... hurry up and visit if you plan to.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2005, 01:46 AM »
irc weekend was a complete failure
we'll try again next month  :-\