ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Going to try google adsense on the pages for 1 week

<< < (4/5) > >>

mouser:
farmsteader, one more thing:
you are a supporting member of this site.
the way we have it set up, supporting members by default never see any of the ads.  they are only shown to non-supporting members.  does that affect your views at all?

urlwolf:
Mouser,

I'd say go for it. It looks like community sites will be all the craze in 2007. This site contains excellent content; it'd be stupid not to make enough money to pay rent while offering good content, while others pocket a lot of money for similar ideas but implemented in a 'me too' way. Also, the new cash could make for new features that benefit all the posters; it may help you think bigger.

Just my 2c.

CodeTRUCKER:
farmsteader, one more thing:
you are a supporting member of this site.
the way we have it set up, supporting members by default never see any of the ads.  they are only shown to non-supporting members.  does that affect your views at all?
-mouser (December 30, 2006, 06:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

It would be appreciated, but it doesn't solve the problem.  On the other hand, I understand revenue is needed.  I appreciate your position, but I don't envy it.

CodeTRUCKER:
Mouser,

I'd say go for it. It looks like community sites will be all the craze in 2007. This site contains excellent content; it'd be stupid not to make enough money to pay rent while offering good content, while others pocket a lot of money for similar ideas but implemented in a 'me too' way. Also, the new cash could make for new features that benefit all the posters; it may help you think bigger.

Just my 2c.
-urlwolf (December 30, 2006, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good arguments.  Man, this is a thorny problem.  My biggest problem is not that DC can use the money and that it would create growth revenue as urlwolf so eloquently cited.  Unfortunately, this need/opportunity does not nullify the reasons for my concern, in the first place.  The fact is the entity of Big "G" is an informational gathering entity.  Information is knowledge and knowledge is power.  Therefore, Google is power.  The question is "how" will that power be used?  I have gathered some data that is not very comforting.  Imagine "how" Hitler, etc. would have used such data?   Frankly, I am not sure I could remain associated with DC if Google was to be adopted.  I certainly have no right to tell Mouser what to do, but I feel it is a courtesy to him to let him know when I don't like something.  How else would he know?  

dk70:
Yeah if we cant see evil it must be invisible. You really are something. Im looking forward to your data, I assume they are of such a nature they cannot yet be revealed right?  :D But think of the children being manipulated every day! You must lead them and us towards the light, guide us away from evil. How can you hold back lifesaving information?

Ever heard of adblocking Farmsteader? You dont have to submit to Googles analysis of your where abouts, like they cared. Block the scripts and ads. Does not make you invisible and definitely not invulnerable but you will feel better being Google-free. Why dont you just block google.com in general? They can live without you. Will you also leave if DC use Yahoo Ads or other? How does it make a difference? Why are you so sure you are not already being "watched" by hidden bots and what not? Are you not scared Mouser is an agent from Google, using his forum for detailed profiling of people? Google have every reason to get those data from you dont you think? Duck is all I will say.

As with everything else regarding Google having ads or not is a matter of money. If site somehow benefits I think it is wrong not to have them. Im not going to look at any but more money/power to site = possible new features for selfish me. I think the only way people find text ads intrusive is when placed wrongly. Some forums even put them in threads, between posts. Smells so much of milking the cow some reject, I know I do. If done elegantly DC could possibly even get away with ad-banners but a bigger move. This is not some stupid blog trying to attract stupid traffic from other stupid sites or there would not be any reflexion about to do or not. Ads can be "justified" even if not regarded as a fantastic new feature of site. Anyone upset can avoid them easy. So if monetary benefits ad away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version