ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Linux security programs

<< < (2/3) > >>

Edvard:
Is Mobysaurus available in a Linux compatable format?
--- End quote ---
Hmm... A brief search turned up Aiksaurus, based on the Moby Thesaurus (different project)
Hmmm... Moby, I wonder if the MobySaurus lexicon could be exported to a format usable by Aiksaurus, m? That'd make half the work already done, eh?
Just a thought...

Also, I posted Sectools.org as a "final word" on security and in the past few days have been digging around that and their parent site, Insecure.org and I must say there are more cans of worms brewing over there than you can shake a stick at.
Apparently, if you want to know ANYTHING about security concerns in software, you'll find them posted, discussed, debunked, rebunked, bent, folded and spindled on their Seclists.org section. Now I'm not talking reviews of the latest anti-virus apps, but in-depth coverage of who can do what to what software with what tools over what kind of network. Capisci?  ;)

Redhat:
Hiya everyone!
I am converting my Windows XP laptop into a Linux workstation :), and I know that there are far less security problems in Linux (and less people using it meaning there aren't many exploiters anyways), but are there any good security programs for Linux :huh:?

P.S.: Is Mobysaurus available in a Linux compatable format? :o

Thanks,
-Wreckedcarzz
-wreckedcarzz (October 28, 2006, 12:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you mean security as in protection, nothing really needs to be done after installation of a chosen distro. Just make sure you never run as root unless necessary  :) If you need any further help/advice, feel free to PM me  :Thmbsup:

Point of interest - which distro?  :)

wreckedcarzz:
I am trying to run a live CD onto my HD (yea, I have heard from the person that I got my copy from that you cant run live CDs onto HDs, but it is a work in progress (which is actually making progress!  :)). To be specific it is Knoppix 5.0.1, if that makes any since to anyone. If the name sounds familiar, you may remember it from the Windows XP type look, with the multi-button "taskbar" at the bottom of the screen. So far I have gotten the files to the HD and edited the boot.ini file, but that is where I stand (currently I am working on other projects).

Edvard:
Actually there are many different ways to run a live CD off your hard drive. The most common is to use a boot floppy or USB to kick up the .iso saved on your hard disk, or booting from the CD but passing the "tohd" and "fromhd" cheatcodes to use the .iso instead of the CD.
Try here: http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/2448
and here: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Poor_Mans_Install

wreckedcarzz:
Ok, I have got to be honest with you...
I have no clue what you just said  ;D (I had you up past the .iso, then I lost you after that...)
I am going to check out the sites now, however I have really wierd hardware/software problems (continuously reinstalling Windows XP and partitioning for Linux does that to you after the 12th install) so my USB ports (and CD drive) rarely work (my external HD is no good to me anymore...) and my laptop has no floppy drive  :(.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version