ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Windows XP Pro and SP2

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesOhToole:
Downloading now.  Appreciate all your help, Josh.  I'll let you know how it goes.

:Thmbsup:

logic7:
Downloading now.  Appreciate all your help, Josh.  I'll let you know how it goes.

:Thmbsup:
-MilesOhToole (October 27, 2006, 03:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

You don't need to install SP1 and then SP2, you just need to install SP2, and after SP2, you need to continue updating Windows until you see nothing left.

To make things easier, you can always download and use Microsoft's Security updates that are on ISOs, which you can burn to CDs and install from there, without waiting for the udpates to download, especially when you have a slow connection.

Get the latest one from here.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

Also, the reason that you got a different size in SP2 is that it was the "express" installation which is the basic collection that installs itself after downloading the rest from Microsoft, but the larger one is the "redistributable" one which you don't even need an Internet access to install.

AdIyhc:
You can use AutoPatcher after installing SP2.

Link: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89

It contains all the Windows updates after SP2 except for Office updates.

Josh:
One question, why use AutoPatcher when you could just use windows update? I mean, I dont want any updates my system DOESNT NEED. Mass installing all updates, plus ones that are meant for only a small portion of users, is a bad practice. I would trust that the software maker knows which patches you need.

AdIyhc:
Well I use it to update my offline image. I'm using FD-ISR so if I need to create a new fully updated image, I can just copy from the offline image.

The description of the patches seem relevant to me so I select/deselect some.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version