topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Poor uninstall  (Read 12575 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Poor uninstall
« on: October 27, 2006, 12:16 PM »
I had the same problems as spj wrote about September 2005 (VERY nice! ...but) - PopupWisdom would not save the settings, and told me to Press Menu Button, select Preferences and select a book, at every Startup  - but I did not solve it, so I > uninstalled the program (using Unins000.exe), > deleted the rest, > emptied the basket, > rebooted the PC > downloaded a new > tried to install > BUT got the message:
"..file popupwisdom.exe.. Cannot replace the existing file .. DeleteFile failed; code 32 ... the file is being used by another program".  :tellme:

This is the strangest message I can think of in this situation, and I have no idea what to do next. I have all kind of smart programs to help me in different situations, but how do you delete a file that has been removed from the PC??

The program is (of course) not listed in Win2000Pro Add/Remove Programs, nor is popupwisdom to be found in the reg' keys, except MRUs.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Poor uninstall
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 06:36 PM »
You mean, in popup wisdom's folder, there are no files?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 06:41 PM »
Well, I found the mistake myself. I didn't delete the folder when I removed the folder's content, but after reboot I downloaded the new exe to the folder, and made the install from there, inside the folder. This way there were suddenly two files with the same name, PopupWisdom.exe, and that cannot do.

You could prevent such a mistake if you named the download file something like ..setup.exe instead. I would think that is common practise.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 06:48 PM »
curt you are right, it is confusing to have them be the same name, i really should do as you say.