topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 8:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: keyword to search in specific area  (Read 4470 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
keyword to search in specific area
« on: October 27, 2006, 02:30 AM »
this might already be possible to do in farr, maybe through a workaround or something??? i'll make the suggestion anyway.

would it be possible to have farr search withing a specific area of the hard drive that it isn't normally set to do by typing in a quick keyword (or specific path).

so, if you typed 'mydocs money', it would start searching in the 'my documents' folder for the file name with 'money' in its title. you could, of course' set the keyword for the 'my documents' folder to something other than 'mydocs' - just 'docs' for example.

other quick keyword search locations would be set by the user for whatever they though appropriate 'music', 'videos', 'program files, etc. etc.

searching an entire drive or specific path would be done by specifying the usual 'C:' or 'D:\foldername\foldername' type structure as the keyword then the search word.

i appreciate that there would have to be another element for the trigger to work so that it isn't confused with a more basic search action - like simple searching for a file named 'mydocs' that is in the start menu.

i apologise if farr is already capable of doing this (or if the suggestion has already been made) - i have just got into a habit of using it the way i do and haven't really kept up to date with the changes and new features.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: keyword to search in specific area
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 10:56 AM »
Thank you for reminding mouser about farr v2 ;)

But this has already been asked for. (i might even say it's THE most asked feature)
Let's now hope mouser will listen to all our prays and get farr v2 out as fast as possible :D

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:34 AM »
i thought this request might have been a bit more specific but i now realise it is just the usual "i want it to search my drive/folder" request.

i thought i was asking for something quite simple so it might have been implemented before v2.

nevermind. i think i must have been one of the first to ask for the full search function to be implemented so i know not to keep asking for it.

i must have been still dreaming when i started this thread this morning so i wasn't thinking straight. i'll try and remember not to do it again. :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 09:42 PM »
i would like to suggest that this feature be extended to search within certain filetypes only. e.g. typing 'xls expense' or 'excel budget' can return excel files containing the either keywords.

once again, sorry if this has been asked before.. but a reminder would do no harm, i guess. ;)

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 12:35 PM »

would it be possible to have farr search withing a specific area of the hard drive that it isn't normally set to do by typing in a quick keyword (or specific path).

other quick keyword search locations would be set by the user for whatever they though appropriate 'music', 'videos', 'program files, etc. etc.
i appreciate that there would have to be another element for the trigger to work so that it isn't confused with a more basic search action - like simple searching for a file named 'mydocs' that is in the start menu.

Why not use \ , since it cannot be in a filename? 

\ starts FRR searching for directories rather than files (how much faster would that be?) and when one is selected, restricts further search to its contents?

I don't know - I don't want it to have to index the whole file system, just in case, but it would be nice to be able to make a working directory visible or invisible on the fly.

The program says I can drag and drop folders from the file manager onto the "search folders" pane, but it doesn't work!  :mad:

I've tried putting shortcuts to folders on the desktop, but that doesn't work either.

BTW, you can't select files those names start with a number, for obvious reasons :-[
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.