topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 8:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox 2 hints and tips  (Read 38872 times)

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox 2 hints and tips
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 09:14 PM »
Uninstalling dont help much if you recycle old profile. See what you have by starting Firefox like this "firefox.exe - profilemanager" Each profile has your bookmarks, cookies, extension data. Often a good idea to start from scratch when updating program version. Problems can be hard to solve if simply reinstalling extension dont help http://kb.mozillazin....org/Profile_Manager

Im not sure if you are asked about deleting profiles during uninstallation. I think you are - be careful not to lose data. Just leave it and chose a new with profile manager. Same manager also lets you delete profiles or you can do it in Explorer, no need for uninstall process to clean up.

Every time you install extension check Add-on menu and see if "options" button is activ. Not all are user friendly, doing these clicks are sometimes only way to set it up right.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 09:16 PM by dk70 »

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 11:32 PM »

That doesn't work for me.
I didn't have that value, so I entered it in the file.  The item now appears, and toggles true/false without any problem, but FF still checks and then disables some of my favourite plug-ins.

Among others, 2.0 rejects both the latest AI Roboform and Surfulater.
Is it mandatory to uninstall 1.5.x when using the final 2.0?

Has anyone another idea?

BTW, Carol, shouldn't that be Pancakes for England?
-cranioscopical (October 27, 2006, 04:49 PM)

Mr Tech's .... Local Install I think it is?  Anyway, it adds a lot of functionality including right clicking on an extension in the add-on window and choosing "Make Compatible".  Has worked for every single one of my extensions that it disabled.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 11:52 PM »
THANKS everyone!

I tried a few things and, since I have good back-ups, decided that the fastest route would be to nuke the lot and start over.

Even then it took me a while to get Roboform to install for 2.0 and not 1.x.
Now 2.0 is doing what it should. I'm obliged to you all for the help.

I've not had cause to tweak FF since just after it first came out (other than by using various extensions). I played around a lot with it at one time but found that I was happy with most of the defaults and let it go. (A bit like one's first PDA... install every piece of software under the sun, then gradually revert to a handful of really useful applications, then leave it alone.) Now I'll follow some of the good ideas posted here.

Grinner0

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2006, 11:40 AM »
Yeah, reading and writing American English does tend to colour one's thinking. I hadn't realised that there were so many different perspectives on how words should be spelled. If I can ever get organised enough, perhaps I'll try to find an on-line dictionary that outlines the differences between American (and Canadian and Australian and New Zealand and South African) spellings and utilisation and British spellings and utilisation...

:P

Think of it as a linguistic grey area.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 11:43 AM »
Just one tip that interested me. Firefox 2.0 default putting the close icons on every tab. I prefer instead just one single red X icon, on the right.
Just set browser.tabs.closeButtons = 3 to have it this way.

Bye!
to get it on just the tab being viewed (my preference) do this:
browser.tabs.closeButtons = 0
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2006, 10:03 PM »
just taking the plunge.. it's a big relief that tab mix plus works without breaking anything. :)

btw, whatever happened to context-menu web search? the one where we can select some text and search in google, regardless of the search bar's current search engine.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:05 PM by lanux128 »

rubensf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2006, 07:15 AM »
Ever closed a TAB only to realise you wish you hadn't? Try Ctrl + Shift + T and you can step back through closed tabs and they will be reopened in new tabs. Really useful.
realise = real eyes realize real lies.

and thanks for the Ctrl + shift + T tip, i found that by pressing that combo several times, it opens ALL OTHER previously closed tabs as well, not just the past last one....

Besides Ctrl + Shift + T there is a convenient item 'Last closed tabs' under History menu  8)

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Welll, my spelll cheeck duzzint wurk tooo goodd! Heeyuck!!!

But that's because I didn't notice anything about downloading a dictionary when upgrading to FF 2.0.

Anyway, here's a tip. You don't need that search box on the FF toolbar...any site that you can search from, such as Google for example, you can right click in the search box and select "Add a keyword for this search". I use "G" for Google. If I want to search for purple socks, I just type "g purple socks" in the url bar.

Now you can remove that search box and put buttons there or something if you want.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2006, 05:24 PM »
Welll, my spelll cheeck duzzint wurk tooo goodd! Heeyuck!!!

But that's because I didn't notice anything about downloading a dictionary when upgrading to FF 2.0.

Anyway, here's a tip. You don't need that search box on the FF toolbar...any site that you can search from, such as Google for example, you can right click in the search box and select "Add a keyword for this search". I use "G" for Google. If I want to search for purple socks, I just type "g purple socks" in the url bar.

Now you can remove that search box and put buttons there or something if you want.

Neat!  But what if you want to use other search engines like Wikipedia in french or other languages?

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2006, 05:36 PM »
OpenBook is an excellent addon that gives you more options when adding bookmarks:
http://www.chuonthis...ensions/openbook.php

When you make an entry to "keyword" box option when adding bookmarks, you can use that entry to access the bookmarked page when you type it into the url box.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2006, 09:16 PM »
a very useful good website that has Firefox extensions grouped by category.

I want a Firefox Extension to ...
200FxExt.pngFirefox 2 hints and tips

nobbywebfoot

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2006, 03:09 AM »
With a reference to the discussion and the side issue of English "how she is spoke (spelt/spelled)".
As a Brit I take enormous pleasure in the the huge variety of ways that English is spelt and spoken.  To me it is the clearest sign of the real LIVE international language in that we can have such differences yet still understand each other so easily.
To a Brit, having to sometimes struggle with the differences within this tiny island such as Janner, Geordie, Glaswegian, Brizl and Scouser, these differences are as nothing, except perhaps Papua Pidgin.  But the latter has the advantage of being a delight to the ears.
Language is the basic tool for communication between people and those trying to keep a language "PURE" are defeating it's purpose.
As an illustration I once heard a person trying to translate "helicopter" (a Greek derivation) into pure Welsh (sorry Cymru).  The Welsh equivalent consisted of about a dozen words and still lost something, whilst helicopter has moved on to helo, chopper, whirlybird and so on.  I am all for preserving a language, but it will not survive by becoming exclusive.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2006, 12:08 PM »
My tongue (thumb?) was firmly in my cheek when I posted my comments above on the variety of English spellings. That was the point - there is a great deal of variation in English spellings around the world and Carol didn't need to be corrected on her spelling of realise! Now, I *think* all Jammo was trying to do was to illustrate that FF's spellchecker picked up on that non-US spelling, not start anything between people who use US spellings and those who do not.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2006, 12:44 AM »
My new tab setup - trying Firefox without Tab Mix Plus, "ligher" perhaps or not  :o

Opaque + Cleartabs theme https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3839/
Seems much nicer than default and as far as I can tell it is 100% compatible so no annoying surprises. Only a "paint" job.

Tab Control http://firefox-exten...tius.com/tab+control
Some features from Tab Mix are needed. Latest version also control the close button, on active, on all etc.

FaviconizeTab https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3780/
Doubleclick (or other shortcut) a tab and it minimizes to favicon, not so silly once implemented in way of organizing. Chormatabs http://labs.mozilla..../2006/11/chromatabs/ is along the same line but not so advanced. May be they will join hands some how. Domain coloring seems like the way to go but Im not sure, Aging tabs has advantages for those with messy habits.

Aging Tabs http://en.design-noi.../mozilla/aging-tabs/
Also needs implementation but Im starting to see the light. Looks very cool as well. Does work with TMP following notes at his site.

Tab Overflow https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/3726/
I would not install since it is only a few css hacks. Besides I could not uninstall for whatever reason - also why I show css code. Userchrome.css is there to be used. This also take out arrows including the one showing list of tabs.

Spoiler
.tabbrowser-strip [overflow="true"] {
background:none!important;
min-height: 38px !important;
}

tabs[overflow="true"] .tabbrowser-arrowscrollbox > scrollbox {
  overflow: auto !important;
  min-height: 38px !important;
  margin-right: -3px !important;
  margin-left: -3px !important;
}

.tabs-alltabs-popup > arrowscrollbox > scrollbox {
  overflow: auto !important;
}

/*Disable scroll arrows */
.scrollbutton-up, .scrollbutton-rel-box {
  display: none !important;
}

/* Disable Container box for "List all Tabs" Button */
.tabs-alltabs-stack { display: none !important; }

Of course scrollbar is only visible when tabs are "overflowing" - to some degree decided by minimum tab width in Tab Control. With some use of FaviconizeTab this works pretty good. Less chaotic for me than with TMP. Colours, Minitabs probably release extra brain cells and encourage a little thinking in how to handle 15-20 tabs.

Extensions used today not tomorrow...
Spoiler
Extensions (enabled: 36, disabled: 1; total: 37)
  • Ad Muncher Browser Extensions 0.4
    Adds options to the right-click menu to quickly remove or report adverts.
  • Aging Tabs 0.4.8
    Makes unused tabs fade with age and highlights the selected tab.
  • AutoBrowse 0.7
    - screensaver browsing the net
  • BetterSearch 1.15
    Enhances Google, A9, MSN, Yahoo, Answers.com (web results), AllTheWeb, del.icio.us, ask.com (Ask Jeeves), Clusty.com, Vivisimo.com, Dogpile and Simpy.com by adding previews (thumbnails) and Amazon product info (images, prices) as well as new special links to the search results. (This extension was formerly known as McSearchPreview.)
  • ConsoleĀ² 0.3.6
    The next generation error console.
  • Context Search 0.4
    Expands the context menu's 'Search for' item into a list of search engines.
  • Cooliris Previews 2.0
    A simple and powerful way of navigating through Google search results and Google image searches! Cooliris was designed to be an 'intuitive' way of browsing
  • Dansk ordbog - Danish Dictionary 1.4.57
  • Dictionary Switcher 0.5.4
    Toggles dictionaries automatically or manually and displays the currently selected dictionary in the status bar.
  • DiggiDig 0.43
    URI extension
  • DOM Inspector 1.8.1
    Inspects the structure and properties of a window and its contents.
  • Download Statusbar 0.9.4.5
    View and manage downloads from a tidy statusbar
  • FaviconizeTab 0.9.6
    FaviconizeTab
  • FavLoc 1.0.6
    Easily download to commonly used locations.
  • FireBug 0.4.1
    Web Debugging Evolved
  • Flickr Sidebar 0.2
    Search Flickr photos in the sidebar.
  • GMarks 0.8
    Shows your Google Bookmarks in the sidebar.
  • Googlepedia 0.4.2
    Shows you a relevant wikipedia article along with your search results.
  • Groowe Search Toolbar 1.5.2
    Groowe Search Toolbar
  • Image Zoom 0.2.7
    Adds zoom functionality for images
  • InfoLister 0.9f
    Lists installed extensions and themes
  • KeywordBar 0.3.3
    localized description now !
  • Leak Monitor 0.3.4 [disabled]
    This extension pops up an alert dialog to warn chrome and extension developers about one particular type of leak.  It warns when windows close but leave other code pointing at their JavaScript objects.
  • myurlbar_a 2006.04.20
    Changes the url bar to allow typing of names instead of addresses. Priority is as follows: bookmarks names, history names, history urls.
  • NextPlease 0.6.6
    Navigate next/prev search results with the press of a key.
  • No Squint 0.9.1.1
    Zooms text by user-configurable percentage
  • repagination 2006.4.5
    Right click "next" or "previous" or "2" link and flatten all results to one page. Ex. Search Results Page. There is also a slide show option.
  • Resizable Form Fields 0.2.4
    Resize HTML form fields, including textareas, select boxes, text fields, and iframes.
  • RSS Ticker 1.8.10
    Scrolls your RSS feeds (Live Bookmarks) in a toolbar.
  • ScrapBook 1.2.0.6
    Helps you to save Web pages and organize the collection.
  • SmoothWheel 0.44.9.20061102
    Scrolls the document smoothly when scrolling the mouse wheel
  • Tab Control 0.3.1
    Take control of your tabs!
  • Toggle Search 0.5
    Makes the search bar more discreet
  • Total Validator 3.2.1
    Validates web pages in numerous ways
  • View Dependencies 0.3.2.0
    Adds a tab listing dependencies and their sizes in the Page Info window.
  • ViewSourceWith 0.0.8.39
    View page source with external application
  • Web Developer Beta 1.1
    Adds a menu and a toolbar with various web developer tools.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 12:48 AM by dk70 »