ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox 2 hints and tips

<< < (6/8) > >>

dk70:
Uninstalling dont help much if you recycle old profile. See what you have by starting Firefox like this "firefox.exe - profilemanager" Each profile has your bookmarks, cookies, extension data. Often a good idea to start from scratch when updating program version. Problems can be hard to solve if simply reinstalling extension dont help http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

Im not sure if you are asked about deleting profiles during uninstallation. I think you are - be careful not to lose data. Just leave it and chose a new with profile manager. Same manager also lets you delete profiles or you can do it in Explorer, no need for uninstall process to clean up.

Every time you install extension check Add-on menu and see if "options" button is activ. Not all are user friendly, doing these clicks are sometimes only way to set it up right.

Tekzel:

That doesn't work for me.
I didn't have that value, so I entered it in the file.  The item now appears, and toggles true/false without any problem, but FF still checks and then disables some of my favourite plug-ins.

Among others, 2.0 rejects both the latest AI Roboform and Surfulater.
Is it mandatory to uninstall 1.5.x when using the final 2.0?

Has anyone another idea?

BTW, Carol, shouldn't that be Pancakes for England?
-cranioscopical (October 27, 2006, 04:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

Mr Tech's .... Local Install I think it is?  Anyway, it adds a lot of functionality including right clicking on an extension in the add-on window and choosing "Make Compatible".  Has worked for every single one of my extensions that it disabled.

cranioscopical:
THANKS everyone!

I tried a few things and, since I have good back-ups, decided that the fastest route would be to nuke the lot and start over.

Even then it took me a while to get Roboform to install for 2.0 and not 1.x.
Now 2.0 is doing what it should. I'm obliged to you all for the help.

I've not had cause to tweak FF since just after it first came out (other than by using various extensions). I played around a lot with it at one time but found that I was happy with most of the defaults and let it go. (A bit like one's first PDA... install every piece of software under the sun, then gradually revert to a handful of really useful applications, then leave it alone.) Now I'll follow some of the good ideas posted here.

Grinner0:
Yeah, reading and writing American English does tend to colour one's thinking. I hadn't realised that there were so many different perspectives on how words should be spelled. If I can ever get organised enough, perhaps I'll try to find an on-line dictionary that outlines the differences between American (and Canadian and Australian and New Zealand and South African) spellings and utilisation and British spellings and utilisation...

:P
-Darwin (October 25, 2006, 05:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Think of it as a linguistic grey area.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
Just one tip that interested me. Firefox 2.0 default putting the close icons on every tab. I prefer instead just one single red X icon, on the right.
Just set browser.tabs.closeButtons = 3 to have it this way.

Bye!
-Mark0 (October 26, 2006, 04:07 PM)
--- End quote ---
to get it on just the tab being viewed (my preference) do this:
browser.tabs.closeButtons = 0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version