ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: Super Efficient Extended Hotkey Mapper

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
People have asked for support for non-standard hotkeys in some of my programs (like Ctrl+Ctrl tap for Find+Run Robot) (see https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=5925).

I'm a little bit hesitant to add this because my understanding is you could only do this by hooking keyboard events in a more cpu-intensive way.

Of course i could add it and make it optional, BUT i had another idea, that would make a great coding snack.

What about an ultra-efficient, ultra-lightweight tray tool which had only 1 function:
It would capture hotkeys like ctrl+ctrl taps, or shift-shift taps, or alt-alt taps, and trigger a configured hotkey when pressed.

A Bonus would be detecting winkey+ combinations.

So for example, the config would simply be something like:

==============

TapSpeed: 1
Shift Tap -> Ctrl+Space
Ctrl Tap -> Ctrl+Space
Alt Tap -> Ctrl+Space
Win+F -> Ctrl+Space

================

that config file simply says how to convert taps and winkey combos to other standard hotkeys (all to Ctrl+space standard hotkey in my example above), and could be used to provide such functionality to ANY apps.

Note this could probably be done with something like AutoHotKey, but i'm really thinking this would be an ideal VisualC++ coding snacks, designed for maximum speed and efficiency.

Anyone up for this?  I'd love to feature such a tool on DC and include it with Find+Run Robot.

nudone:
i think this is an excellent idea and i hope it will be done - but i'd just like to point out why i'm always asking for 'wink key' hotkeys...

as i mainly use the computer for messing around with adobe programs, they often conflict with other utils that have 'ctrl', 'alt' and 'shift' keyboard shortcuts - but they never conflict with anything that used the 'win key'.

the problem with creating the tool that you suggest would be that even though i could configure it to act upon a 'win key' shortcut - it would then lead to the same trouble, as above, if the next step was to behave as if i'd hit a 'ctrl' or 'alt', etc combination - photoshop, or whatever, would intercept the hotkeys if it had the main focus.

i assume there would be other software that would suffer the same problem.

as the other forum members requests for different shortcut keys never mention this problem i think i must be in the minority (a minority of one) so i don't think it's anything to be concerned about - i just wanted to mention a possible drawback that would still be encountered.

but, i can think of many other ways of using the app you describe so i'm really looking forward to seeing it done.

mouser:
i see your point, but one solution would allow you to configure impossibly annoying hotkey stuff for your other program.  for example, configure farr to open on ctrl+alt+shift+F10.  then use this tool to send that.  im sure you could find a few unsed hotkey combos that could be used for this purpose.  the program could even come preconfigured with these which would suit most users..

nudone:
very good point.

mouser:
also pays to reiterate the strangth of this solution is that it would basically give you a generic way to use these unusual hotkeys with any program..

you know.. i actually wrote something very similar to this when i first started farr, the mini tray helper.. whose only purpose was to catch hotkey and launch program..

why dont i just modify that for this task!  ok i will..

shouldnt take more than a couple of days.

lets call it "TapTap Extended Hotkey Mapper"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version