ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Auto-complete Intelli-sense type utility ?

(1/11) > >>

Defenestration:
I have never really used these types of apps before but have heard some good things about how they can save me a lot of time when writing e-mails, coding etc. I've found a few apps which look OK and wanted to get people's opinions on which one is best and why.

The apps I've found are

As-U-Type 3.2 - US$39.95 one-time fee. DC member zridling posted a couple of times at betanews about this and said it was his faviourite utility of it's type, but then the author upped the price to from US$29.95 including all updates to US$50 with only 12 months of updates. Because of all the complaints, the price has now dropped to US$39.95 with all updates included.

IntelliComplete 3.3 - US$49.97.

AutoHotkey 1.0.44.14 - free

AutoIt 3.1.1.133 Beta - free

Direct Access 1.1 - US$39.95 with minor updates. Large discount (probably 50%) on major upgrades.

If there are any others I have not mentioned, please let me know.

urlwolf:
I use intellicomplete, but it seems to be abandonware... buyer beware.
I´d be interested in seeing your comparision. There was a GNU one, I don´t remember the name...

urlwolf:
As-U-Type 3.2 doesn´t do intelligent completion AFAIK...

Darwin:
ActiveWords is one you should definitely have a look at.

I have this and DirectAccess (i.e. licenses for both) but use AW. DA looks promising and I decided to support development by buying a license. AW is much more feature rich and IMNSHO easier to use, but it's GUI is definitely mired in Win 9x. [added in edit]: DA is the new kid on the block, having been released this summer, while AW has been around for quite a while - five years or more.

Anyway, both DA and AW insert boilerplate text but only AW features auto-complete in ANY app/dialogue box. AW also features universal spell checking while DA does not. AW is $49.95 and I have no idea what the upgrade policy is - there have been bug-fix releases since I purchased in 2004 but no point releases and certainly no major upgrades! It works so well, though, that I am not complaining... [added in edit]: Just to clarify, while there have been no updates, AW is fully supported, has an active community forum (in which the developers are frequent posters) and there is a roadmap for future versions.

tim254:
I haven't used it yet, but going to try it soon.

PhraseExpress
http://www.phraseexpress.com/

I'm not an ActiveWords fan, I bought it but have since abandoned it.  It's too slow and intrusive for my taste ... and they don't update it.  I love the idea, but they really need to rewrite it from scratch using C++ or get better programmers.

Interesting article:

ActiveWords - The most useful utility I'm no longer using
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2006/07/21/activewords-the-most-useful-utility-im-no-longer-using/

--
Tim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version