ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

You Should Pay Me to Read This Post (It's worth it...)

(1/4) > >>

Renegade:
A while ago I was teasing some people about why I know such awesome ways to make money on the Internet. That's actually very true. I know a lot of ways, and many of them were learned in a Sith temple over a nice warm cup of Jedi blood...

Ok - but seriously - there are good, clean, wholesome ways to do it as well that are legal, ethical, and good for everybody involved.

TrialPay is a new system for software authors to give away their software for FREE and still get paid.  :Thmbsup: There's no spyware, no toolbars, no tricks. It's all straight forward. You sign up for some service online like a dating site, or complete some transaction like buying some product, or getting a credit card, then you get your software for free.  There are lots of different offers and even some games there as well.

The system is in beta now, and I've registered and uploaded a product that I've just released - the Renegade PayPal Batch Encrypted Button Generator. Check out the page and look for the TrialPay buttons. Click one to go to the TrialPay page and have a look around.

I've also blogged in more detail with screen shots in a step-by-step way. See TrialPay - Good for Customers and Software Authors.

There are many other ways of course, but that's a very cool one.

So - now that you've read this post - you've got to pay me!  ;) Anyone need an American Express Platinum Card or Discover Gas Card?  :D

mouser:
that is an interesting twist.. not quite my cup of tea but very interesting and seems like it might be reasonable alternative both for authors and for consumers..

app103:
Sounds like something similar to the old PicoPay system where people 'earned money' to pay for your software by clicking ads of their choice...was a micropayment system that eventually failed because they couldn't sell enough ad space. (I was a member and got an email from them saying they discontinued it...but their site is still there looking exactly like it did 2 yrs ago.)

People were using it as a tip jar on their website where visitors could donate amounts like $0.10 to a site without using any cash from their own pockets.

Some artists were using it for desktop wallpapers. You could set it up where visitors were required to click an ad to gain access to your site...or a file on your site.

Renegade:
So mouser, so you need an American Express or Discover card?  ;) hehehe

It's definitely not for everyone, and not for all software. You've got to be judicious in choosing how you market your software, and how you accept payments. But it's certainly a novel approach to generating revenue for software.

mouser:
It might be interesting to offer this method to people as an experiment..  The only download i can see if the user has a bad experience there (ie they have trouble finding actions that they qualify for, or get rejected by services, or do things and end up not getting credited, or get spammed like mad because they used their mail email account), then they might develop a negative attitude about your software.  not sure how likely that is to happen.  keep us updated Ryan on how this works out for you please, i'm very curious to know the feedback you get from users.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version