ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Comparison of online music services Pandora, Last.fm, and Yahoo Music

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
Finding free music on the internet is a difficult process. Between the commercials, quality, selection, and features, it may seem that nothing will suit your needs. This article will review three of the most popular internet music providers: Pandora, Last.fm, and Yahoo! Music.
While Yahoo! ranked the highest in overall features, the commercials and song limit were enough to make me switch to another music provider. Pandora has become the provider I use most for my internet radio. Last.fm has great features on their site and a community building around it, but that has not been a significant enough draw to pull me away from Pandora.

--- End quote ---

read aritcle

JavaJones:
Just goes to show that a check-list of features doesn't tell the whole story by far. :D

The comments about Pandora are interesting though. I'm fairly sure you *can* use multiple artists/songs to refine a station. I also find it suggests music extremely well, for the most part. I haven't tested the other services much, but Pandora at least earns high marks from me for music suggestion and general refinement. Especially after training, which makes a "length of evaluation" notice in reviews like this an important thing.

It does sound like Yahoo's more extensive ratings - particularly in terms of rating whole artists or albums (and being able to ban whole artists/albums) - are a good enhancement. I think a 100 point rating system is pretty silly though, and I highly doubt Yahoo actually does much with that. It probably just averages it to the 4 point system and works off that. So I would guess the 100 point ratings would only be useful to the listener, if at all, and thus probably a waste of time.

- Oshyan

jgpaiva:
hey, what's Pandroa?   :huh:
 :tellme:

app103:
You can add an umlimited number of songs and artists to a station to create something a whole lot more customized to your tastes in Pandora. I have done it with this very eclectic station:
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh155954033507829735

Just click the Guide Us button and select the last option on the list.

Comparison of online music services Pandora, Last.fm, and Yahoo Music

And Open Pandora can be used with Last.FM...I am doing it right now....and not having to run the Last.FM software to do it...just Open Pandora.  ;)

allen:
Just click the Guide Us button and select the last option on the list.
And Open Pandora can be used with Last.FM...I am doing it right now....and not having to run the Last.FM software to do it...just Open Pandora.  ;)
-app103 (October 22, 2006, 11:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto!  Never much cared for last.fm on its own -- but paired with Pandora: Great combo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version