topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 24, 2024, 11:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Computer Gaming World Archive - PDF Versions of the Magazine from 1981-1989  (Read 7504 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
For those of us who grew up with this magazine, this is an *amazing* collection, and is bound to fill you with nostalgia.
The first issue from November 1981 has an article on Robotwar, one of the first games i ever made a clone of, and a game that was near and dear to my heart.

Welcome to the official online archive of Computer Gaming World magazine, where you can read and download digitized versions* of the first 100 issues of the magazine, beginning with the first issue in November 1981, and then see covers of all the rest of the magazine's run through the final issue in November 2006.

Founded in 1981 by Russell Sipe, Computer Gaming World began life as a small, self-published, independent magazine for the then small community of computer game hobbyists (it was, in fact, the first magazine dedicated to the hobby), but grew over the years into one of the most important and powerful media voices in all of digital entertainment, thanks to its strong editorial voice and reputation for tough but fair reviews.

From its earliest days, covering games for the Atari and Apple II systems, through the recent era of blockbuster titles for high-end PCs, CGW has always been known for the expertise, passion, and talent of its editorial staff, from Johnny Wilson to Scorpia to Loyd Case and more, and this archive is dedicated to them. Have fun, and don't forget to save!

Extra special thanks to Stephane Racle, whose extraordinary scanning effort made all this possible. And don't forget that CGW has been reborn as Games for Windows: The Official Magazine. Check it out online at gfw.1up.com. (coming soon!)

from http://www.joystiq.com/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 02:41 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
for any fan of microcomputer history, run don't walk to this archive and get your greedy little file downloaders working overtime - this is wonderfull piece of personal computer history..  :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NICE! (I'd have to say it with CAPS ;D). Pity that the archive contains magazines 'till 1989... that means no 16-bit console era, but it seems that eventually they would reach up to the final magazine. I didn't know current issue was the last. It'll be missed. Seems that this year some of the finest magazines are closing their doors.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Very cool archive! Grabbing it now. :)

Note that the image you put up there is around 800KB. ;)

- Oshyan

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ouch you are right, editing to make it smaller thx.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
OK, I'm dumb and blind. First, Computer Gaming World was a PC games magazine, not a console magazine :)

Second, the magazine didn't close its doors, they only changed the name. With this corrected, I'm back to ripping the whole site ;D