topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Citizendium - Wikipedia with More Expert/Editor Control  (Read 9075 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Citizendium - Wikipedia with More Expert/Editor Control
« on: October 21, 2006, 09:51 PM »
For those of you who haven't heard about it, Citizendium is a "fork" of the original Wikipedia encyclopedia project that is designed to overcome some of the (perceived) weaknesses of Wikipedia, mainly having to do with lack of expert oversight.

From official announcement (http://citizendium.org/):
We believe a fork is necessary, and justified, both to allow regular people a place to work under the direction of experts, and in which personal accountability--including the use of real names--is expected.  In short, we want to create a responsible community and a good global citizen.

And a good long thoughtfull recent essay on it (hat tip http://www.nedbatchelder.com):

Make sure you read the end of that, it's quite good.

Screenshot - 10_21_2006 , 9_42_58 PM_thumb.png

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Citizendium - Wikipedia with More Expert/Editor Control
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006, 09:55 PM »
I've been on record for a long time that the lack of domain-experts is a real weakness of these social network content sites like digg and wikipedia, and i think it's shocking that wiki implementations have such poor ganularity in editing role permissions.  See for my essay on democratic-style expert selection.

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 01:26 AM »
Looks like they went with SMF Forums http://smf.citizendium.org/ - go figure  :P

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 03:20 PM »
From official announcement (http://citizendium.org/):
We believe a fork is necessary, and justified, both to allow regular people a place to work under the direction of experts, and in which personal accountability--including the use of real names--is expected.  In short, we want to create a responsible community and a good global citizen.
I like the more 'anarchist' approach of Wikipedia. From the article you linked:

That said, I am troubled by some aspects of Sanger's Citizendium. Aside from its pretentious title (which participants are already saying must be changed), this feels in some ways like an attempt by old-guard academics to retake control of humanity's knowledge. - Jason Sanford
Those were almost exactly my thoughts after I heard about Citizendium on the radio!

Two more great quotes from the article:
Basically what I think works in a wikis is to trust people to do the right thing, and trust them as much as you can possibly stand it, until it hurts your head and makes you scared for what they're going to break. Because that is what works. - Jimmy Wales

My belief is that Wikipedia's success dramatizes instead a change in the nature of authority, moving from trust inhering in guarantees offered by institutions to probabilities created by processes. - Clay Shirky

:-*