ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

MetaProducts TrayIcon Pro 1.7.219

<< < (3/5) > >>

lanux128:
KeyLaunch sounds interesting - I'll watch for the next version.-Darwin (November 06, 2006, 11:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, KeyLaunch is interesting, even though it looks similar to Farr...

Alexander - MetaProducts:
WhiteLion, thank you very much for your review.
I forwarded your remarks to the developer, he should fix found problems in the next version.

Regards,
Alexander Bednyakov
MetaProducts Corporation

vixay:
If you are talking about keyboard based launchers... then these are the ones i've heard off and tried...
I currently use Find&Run robot... (DOH! I just figured it out now that FARR = Find And Run Robot!, lol... just wasted my time to post this then, though the other apps are useful too)

I am surprised that it isn't more popular on the web, currently launchy is the most popular out there...

Find&Run Robot https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/findrun/ (free/donationware, ~1.5 MB)
 -> I like it, though a bit slow at times (after key is pressed), and takes some configuring to work just right... though the most powerful of th bunch  :up: :up: :up: This is the one i use though, so i a am a little biased :)

Launchy  http://launchy.net/ (free, open source, ~0.6 MB)
 -> Simple, easy, fast, free open source, :)  :up:

SlickRun http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/ (free, only 170KB! (requires delphi libraries though))
  -> haven't actually tried this one yet...
I tested out SlickRun. I thought it is really neat. Then I started to think...that it is just a glorified keyboard shortcut app with an added pain of having to find a little box to type into.
I played with it some more and I ended up concluding that it is both of the above.  :D
It is more than a glorified short-cut handler because it allows one to make memorable keyboard combinations by tagging the key combos to a name of your own chosing.
That is a very nifty for me. It also makes it truly the first keyboard shortcut handler which I actually could handle trying to use everyday.

I give it   :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:
Thanks for telling me about it.
-WhiteLion (November 16, 2006, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

Anyway now to complete the list, i should add the ones you guys mentioned above...

KeyLaunch http://software.xfx.net/utilities/kl/index.htm (shareware $12, ~2.7 MB)

Looks good, i haven't tried it yet though.

/edit note: added some more info, and reviews

Darwin:
Hi Whitelion,

Just an update: the latest beta of ObjectDock 1.49 (b5) is out. I installed it to see how it performs and did the following:

Shutdown the main dock (leaving only the tabbed dock)
removed taskbar and system tray tabs
removed all docklets
removed start menu
redirected a couple of shortcuts to my favoured apps (Take Command for the command prompt and PSP X for graphics)

Closed it and restarted it: RAM usage varies between 12 and 15 MB. Not good... The latest stable release (from August - 1.3), as noted above, ran much more lightly.

Just thought I'd update this "thought". I'm off to whinge about it on the Stardock forum. The other thing that this exercise made me appreciate is that with TrueLaunchBar loaded there really is little incentive to run ObjectDock and I doubt it's going to make it to the end of the week on my system.

Darwin:
I received a reply from the developer:

Yes, the default Speed Optimization setting has changed from "Optimize for Memory" to "Optimize for Speed". Was having too many people get a bad experience with it having little bits of choppyness when it was doing routines to save memory, I decided that along with the new zoom algorithm I'm using I'd rather give people the best performing dock experience possible

If you're in need of more memory though yes you might want to look at moving it back to "Optimize for Memory"
--- End quote ---

I can confirm that doing as he says "tames the beast", though RAM usage is in the 4-5 MB range now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version