ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two New Internet Explorer 7 Reviews

<< < (8/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
For comparison I opened FF2 and IE7 with the same set of 5 webpages in tabs.

FF2 took 81Mb of memory (and worked fine)

IE7 was up to 65Mb (and hadn't finished opening pages when it froze my machine).

I don't think that FF2 looks too bad alongside IE given that there is probably at least 15Mb of IE in memory before you click on the IE icon. FF2 also feels quicker to load to me too than FF1 - but still slower than IE.

dk70:
I tried a clean profile for once, I would estiamate startup time to be about 2 seconds, maybe 1.xxxxxx :) You could put Firefox on a ramdisk perhaps? Tell it to save bookmarks, cookies, forms on hd and it should work ok as permanent solution. Will have to do some boot magic but there are guides for this.

Try this strange page for a Firefox extension http://www.rjonna.com/ext/gspace.php simple but eats 90mb and I think 30mb on IE7. Dont know about Opera. Buggy page or what is going on. Hard if not impossible to set up fixed comparison, best to live with monitor tool for a while doing same browser patterns to get a "feel". Have to look out for the odd page.

Remember to disable session/undo feature of Opera/Firefox when comparing to IE7 - or better install such an add-on for it. Then you will not see exact same numbers. Other things to be aware of I think would be phishing filter. Active vs passive vs disabled. Opera has none yet. 

f0dder:
dk70: 2 seconds (or "counting to two") is a loooong time for me - and about the time FF takes to load. With IE6, I can't even count to 1. Of course the comparison is not entirely fair, since IE6 is pretty Vanilla... But Maxthon loads just as fast, and has a lot of the features the FF brings. And this is second-time launches, when program code is in filesystem cache.

Why do I close my browser? Well, when I don't use it, I dont' see any reason it should take up screen space, nor a place in the task bar or a little icon in the tray. Nor sit in memory, for that matter. Perhaps somewhat of a pedantic thing.

The sluggish load time of FF is just one of those small annoyances - not something I'm going to bother setting up a ramdisk to solve - and sure is a smaller annoyance than the much-more-often-targetted exploits in IE >_<

dk70:
Minimize trick must always lower memory to 10-15mb. If machine is not sluggish it probably have 1gb or more so little price to pay. May be you have a tool which can hide minimized window and pop it up with hotkey/mouse gesture.

I see why you dont like ATI .net drivers now  8)

f0dder:
2gig ram, amd64x2 4400+, 2x160gb maxtor sata disks in mirror (not the fastest disks these days, but not shabby either). KAV6 with on-demand scanning. Launching something that should be "small" or "trivial" (like display driver config or a humble web browser) should be done in less than one second, otherwise it annoys me.

Certainly isn't the case with ATI .net driver panel, nvidias panel (even the "old" one), firefox...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version