ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two New Internet Explorer 7 Reviews

<< < (2/11) > >>

allen:
I'm happily an Opera user.  There are many happy Firefox users.  There are also happy IE users.  The bottom line: to each his own.

In my personal opinion, IE7 is a much better application than IE6 -- it's usable.  So for those using IE, they're better off than they were.  Developers who sniff and or develop for only certain browsers are only antagonizing the issue. Save for fringe things -- plugins, very new protocols, etc. -- all the major browsers are capable of rendering most of the same webstuff.  Find the features/interface/etc. you like and there's your browser.

Most of Internet Explorer's insecurity stems as inheretence from it being the most commonly used browser.  All browsers have their holes--but the software with the bigger user share gets the most focus on finding and exploiting holes.

IE7 won't tear me away from Opera, but it sure did replace IE6 on my system.  :)

Renegade:
Well, so far so good. I like a lot of what I'm seeing in IE7, but I'm not liking the lack of mouse gestures.

Does anyone know of a decent add-in for IE7 that does mouse gestures? I do miss that a lot.

dk70:
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/essentials.asp have something. Site made by one of the guys in the video btw. Or use Strokeit. Works in all browsers  :D Under "Tweaks" you can find the old speed trick he talks about.

Yep, it is a nice browser and hopefully it will help fix those pages not rendering properly in Firefox, Opera - thanks to old IE6/MS code. There are more than a few of those. Most visited sites not big problem of course but try dig into a business directory in a small country and you will see strange things. With commitment to standards general internet browsing will eventually get better. IE7 also important to Firefox users.

Darwin:
Hi Renegade (how's Seoul treating you?),

It's a bit more drastic (or perhaps less, depending on your viewpoint), but you could install Maxthon , which comes with mouse gestures built-in and they work brilliantly. The developer is working on Maxthon 2.0, which promises to be a big step forward, but the latest build is very solid and very capable.

Renegade:
Hello Darwin,

Well, Seoul is still Seoul. Good and bad. But things are pretty good everything considered. I was out with a friend a few times as his life went from mere "train wreck" to "World Trade Center". Yep. Bad beyond comprehension. So in light of that, man... Things are hunkey-dorey here for me! :D

But really, Seoul is a good place to be.

Does Maxthon use shodocvw.dll and MSHTML.tlb? (I thought it did. Need to double check though.) Or if I install it will it still use Trident? (That's the IE core.) If I do try it, I'd like to be still using the IE7 core.

I installed http://www.ysgyfarnog.co.uk/utilities/mousegestures/ and so far it seems ok, but I've only used it like 5x or so.

But on the IE topic, I just releasea a mini-app that I created for myself that uses IE automation, and things went perfectly smooth once IE7 was installed. Couldn't be happier on that front. No additional coding required. I'll post details in the appropriate place for that though once I have time. (It's 1am now :P )

Cheers!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version