ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two New Internet Explorer 7 Reviews

<< < (6/11) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I think you are missing the point - most of IE is loaded into memory all the time - that's why you can view help pages (in a lot of applications which rely on MSHTML) and webpages in a lot of applications which just hook directly to the IE code. For exampl if you use Microsoft Office applications (esp. 2003) it uses the IE rendering engine to view all of the help pages etc. and you can browse the internet within the Outlook application (there is even a web toolbar) - the only difference in Outlook is that it defaults to a more secure zone than IE.

When you load IE specifically it is really only loading a frontend (just like Maxthon etc) onto code that is already in memory. The fact that it isn't list as such in the task lists doesn't mean it isn't there!

f0dder:
HtmlHelp is loaded on-demand - so just starting an app that uses HH for help doesn't get the HtmlHelp code loaded automatically, before you actually use the help functionality.

I think I'm gonna make a little program that enumerates which DLL files are loaded in memory, would be a fun little project and might show some interesting results as well...

dk70:
Firefox has never been quick to load - even fanboys say that  :D Should be a bit improved with 2.0 they say. The usual advice when people complain about this is to limit extension pack, clear history, downloads. Sometimes too many Live bookmarks can tease as well. Matter of few seconds on fast computer no matter what - dont think it can be an issue for average computer unless there really is a problem. I have 2.5mb bookmark files, mile long history, changed GUI, many extensions, plugins and would not call it slow, not fast either ;) A clean/empty profile will be fast. May be not much to do until they transform all bookmarks, history into sqlite format.

If I remember correctly the pre-loader thingy for Firefox is not without problems, not sure - might have been fixed. Look it up at Mozillazine if it feels wrong.

2.0 is out tomorrow btw. RC3 is same as Final, same procedure as before. Available now it seems ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0 or http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/2.0/

Josh:
What I still dont understand is how firefox can be so slow at startup and use so much memory when opera has managed to be fast to start and use less memory on ALL PLATFORMS (Windows, *nix, BSD, Solaris, HP-UX). As I said above, the whole "IE is preloaded" argument doesnt hold any water anymore. Its been disproven time and time again. Opera has managed to start as fast, if not faster, than IE on the windows platform. Why firefox has not optimized its code is beyond me. Bugs that have existed in the firefox browser since .1, are still existent and dont show any signs of being fixed. That doesnt inspire much confidence in a browser to me. Anyways, I am on maxthon now with IE7. Works great, fast, and all my plugins and addons work.

JavaJones:
Yeah, the efficiency and resource use issues of Firefox have always really bugged me. Sure I have 3GB of RAM, but my browser shouldn't have to use 200MB of it. :P The cross-platform argument really doesn't hold water, as you said - Opera is on at least as many platforms as Firefox and it's low resource using on all of them, *and* it has a bundled email client (and now bittorrent support, etc.).

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version