ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Two New Internet Explorer 7 Reviews

(1/11) > >>

mouser:
Two New Internet Explorer 7 Reviews:

One From Read/Writeweb: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/internet_explorer7_review.php

IE 7 is a huge improvement over IE 6. There is evidence of really good effort and innovation here - but there are also traces of the old IE that just do not fit. It seems like the IE team was pressured to release the tool (because of what Firefox is bringing out) before they had a chance to rethink and redo everything. Hopefully the shortcomings will be cleaned up in IE 8 - and that we won't have to wait another five years before it comes out!

The bigger question is how does IE7 compare to Firefox 2.0 and is it enough to hang on to IE's huge market share? This is a tough question to answer... but in terms of performance, cohesiveness of features and availability of add-ons - Firefox 2.0 is in better shape right now.
--- End quote ---

And one from WinSuperSite: http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ie7.asp

Internet Explorer 7 is an absolute no-brainer: If you use Windows, you should almost certainly upgrade immediately: IE 7's security features are top-notch and its functional improvements are nicely designed and greatly appreciated. For the short term, certain people may run into occasional Web site compatibility issues with IE 7, but I think those problems will fade quickly. Certainly, most major Web sites have already been upgraded to work correctly with Microsoft's latest Web browser. I've had a field day in the past making fun of IE, but with IE 7, the browser has finally turned the corner. This is one product that Microsoft should be quite proud of. My only question, really, is what took them so long? Seriously, download it now. Highly recommended.
--- End quote ---

wr975:
I upgraded to IE 7 today. First time I saw IE7 ever. Never bothered to get a beta or read a review.

Well, nice. They changed the layout.

Started Slimbrowser to see if it's still working. It is. No need to use IE7. It's just a security update for me. The options window is different, but that's the only change I see (now).

but in terms of performance, cohesiveness of features and availability of add-ons - Firefox 2.0 is in better shape right now.
--- End quote ---

Why is every person acting like there's no frontend for IE (like Maxthon, Slimbrowser, and so on)? They're working with IE7, bring in tons of features and offer great performance (because of IE). I know Firefox fanboys will rip IE7 apart and tell the world how unsafe it is... but I don't care. I just hope these sites with a super-annoying "You're using IE! Microsoft is the devil! Use Firefox now and save the free world!" pop-ups will stop doing so (like the one at www.workrave.com).

dk70:
Why is every person acting like there is no stable, not memory eating, extensions for Firefox?  Goes both ways wr975. Wait for the world to see the light  8) You are a pioneer so must be brave.

Anyway, the world still use IE6 or IE7 and will continue to do so. Except a few sites most of these crusade pics you will see where may be 50-75% already use Firefox. They make their use of internet into a big personal deal and so have chosen Firefox. Also some have hated IE6 with a passion and not just for security reasons. MS them self say it more or less directly in this presentation of IE7 http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=246705 Easy to admit IE6 was poorly maintained, showing its age, laughing at strange relations to web standards now they offer IE7  8) At some point they are praising TAB Browsing!! How they try to get rid of old habits etc. May be IE7 would have come out sooner if MS people had a broader view of what is possible. These people seem completely unaware of Maxthon, Firefox, Opera, even the terrible tabs from MSN seachbar - they live in MS land of course. No reason to love them though, may be something else...

You will like what they say, "Back with a vengeance", will not leave it at IE7. More frequent updates, supported now, helping web development highest priority.

Actually I think it will be hard for some Firefox users to swallow they no longer can sing the old song of "safer". I assume and believe that is the case. MS hate will still be strong as ever but does not sell that many tickets - may be they will just focus on own strengths, Firefox 3.0 is being baked.

Signed up for Maxthon 2.0?, not close to being done yet but looks very nice. Just noticed it says close to 70 million downloads on Maxthon site. Add Avantbrowser, Slimbrowser etc. and there is a crowd!

Renegade:
Well, I'm off to finally upgrade to IE7 now. I'm hoping that it really lives up to what I've heard about it.

The thing that I think I'm most looking forward to is seeing IE7 kick FF's butt and shut the "IE is insecure" crowd up. The reporting on security issues has been so horribly lobsided that I'm sick and tired of hearing the anti-MS crowd chanting their mindless mantras. And most if it basically comes from the FOSS/OSS or Apple camps.

If nothing else, I'd just like to hear some more intelligent reporting. I'm hoping IE7 helps push things towards that. I'l start my mantra now, "Let's have some balanced and honest reporting... Let's have some balanced and honest reporting... Let's have some balanced and honest reporting... "

Josh:
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! If I had some DCredits to give out, you'd get them renegade!

I too am tired of the "IE is so insecure" bs. Put any other browser in IE's spot, and I guarantee we would see the tables turn. Market share is proprtionally related to the number and frequency of exploits found. If only the FF crowd could learn this.;

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version