ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Vista EULA to users: Go to hell!

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
From Wendy's Blog, a techie lawyer: Forbidding Vistas: Windows licensing disserves the user:

"Reading the Windows Vista license is a bit like preparing for breakfast with Lewis Carroll's Red Queen: You should be ready to believe at least six impossible things about what users want from software.... It is unlikely that a home user looking for a computer operating system has any of these 'features' of the Vista EULA in mind:

* Self-limiting software
* Vanishing functionality through invalidation
* Removal of media capabilities
* Problem-solving prohibited
* Limited mobility
* One transfer only, and a bonus,
* Restrictions on your rights to use MPEG-4 video
Read the details...

f0dder:
Nasty.

Aagain, I hope Vista fails massively. But again-again, users are sheep.

Lashiec:
Nasty.

Again, I hope Vista fails massively. But again-again, users are sheep.

-f0dder (October 20, 2006, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

Baaaaaah! (says the sheep) ;D

Carol Haynes:
Many home users and small businesses will stick with what they have (a lot are still using Win98) unless there is a really compelling reason to shift.

Unfortunately most people will shift to VISTA eventaully because they either get new machines with VISTA OEM installed and larger businesses will shift because they have support contracts which push the latest version of everything on them.

We have to accept that VISTA will be a massive 'success' in MS's eyes whatever happens - as usual knowledgeable users and other businesses will be left to pick up the pieces - and this time the pieces are likely to be many (IMHO).

With MS doing what they are doing I am on my last version of Windows - and when support for that stops I will probably still keep it unless the rumpus becomes so much that MS backtracks on its policies. I have too much software investment to swap to Linux unless big software houses like Adobe and SonyMedia port their products to Linux - which is highly unlikely.

mwb1100:
Does Vista have anything I really want?  I'm not even sure if my hardware will run it effectively, so the only time I'm going to get it is when I buy a new machine. 

I think that'll be when I move to Mac instead...

Vista's going to be the best thing to happen to Apple since the iPod, and now that iPod is levelling off the timing couldn't be better for Apple.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version