topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:55 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Getting Software Done: GTD for Programmers  (Read 6410 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Getting Software Done: GTD for Programmers
« on: October 19, 2006, 11:03 AM »
A 2 part article by Robert Peake, on 43folders:

http://www.43folders...bert-peake-part-one/
http://www.43folders...bert-peake-part-two/

Getting Software Done
by Robert Peake, David Allen Company

Since launching GTD Connect, we have gotten a lot of great feedback not only on the content, but on the technical underpinnings of the system we built to deliver the audio, video, forums, podcasts, and other goodies on the site. What a lot of people may not realize is that, to my mind, a lot of the elegance expressed in the technology that drives Connect stems from the fact that we implement and use the GTD methodology in our software development process. We really do “eat our own dog food” at DavidCo, and I’m convinced that necessarily translates to a more positive user experience overall in every product we produce, and especially software. A lot of people also don’t realize how highly relevant GTD is to the software development industry specifically, and how many interesting parallels there are between software best practices and workflow best practices (i.e. GTD).

So, I’d like to run through some of the relationships between GTD and developing software well, using the past eighteen months or so of building up GTD Connect from concept to reality. I’ll use our experience building Connect as a kind of case study to ground some of the concepts and ideas with practical examples. Having seen a range of tactics deployed in software development by other companies, I can definitely say that our outcome-oriented, GTD-inspired approach to building out the web applications that make GTD Connect work has been far and away the most functional and positive approach I’ve encountered so far. So, if any of these tips and tactics strike a chord with you, I encourage you to consider looking at how you might fold these concepts into your own project management — whether or not the project is software.