ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

New Winzip will open rar archives

(1/6) > >>

tinyvillager:
Source: http://news.com.com/2110-1012_3-6127325.html?part=rss&tag=6127325&subj=news

Cut and paste...

On Thursday, Corel's WinZip Computing division launched WinZip 11.0 beta, a test of the latest version of its popular zip-and-unzip software. New features include the ability to open BZ2 and RAR files, higher-quality compression for WAV sound files, and a new interface resembling Windows Explorer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally i'll stick with my Winrar but it's nice to see they've finally added this feature.
I didn't know Corel owned winzip. :o

mouser:
sounds cool, i still use winzip sometimes.

Lashiec:
I didn't know Corel owned winzip. :o
-tinyvillager (October 19, 2006, 05:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, I think it's not exactly Corel owning WinZip Computing. I mean, they actually own it, but it's due to the acquisition of Corel by this obscure company called Venture Capital. Since then, Corel has bought some important companies, like Jasc or InterVideo. Some years ago, no one would bet on WinZip being part of Corel ;D

Anyway, this detours from the main topic. Although they finally implemented RAR support, this does not make WinZip any better. Let's see how they handle the new interface design, but I don't like that higher compression for WAV files. I'm tired of WinZip implementing proprietary compression algorithms, like the ones implemented in the ZIP specification on WinZip 10

Carol Haynes:
Can;t help hearing the bell toll for numerous companies - Corel seems to be the deathbed of most acquisitions ...

I didn't realise they had acquired InterVideo .... boo hoo

Renegade:
I'm tired of WinZip implementing proprietary compression algorithms, like the ones implemented in the ZIP specification on WinZip 10
-Lashiec (October 19, 2006, 07:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Amen! It was a bad idea to extend the ZIP format like they did. For most purposes, the standard zip spec works perfectly fine. There are other formats that can handle very large archives (ALZ, RAR) so that was covered. Adding AES encryption... well... There were already other solutions to the problem of file encryption.

They broke compatibility for a standardized open format, and that just creates pain for users.

It was a different case when RAR was extended because that's a proprietary format. RarSoft is perfectly suited to extend RAR. Joe Blow isn't in a position to extend a well accepted standard. If anyone were to do it, PKWare should have been the one to release a ZIP 3.0 spec.

But when you're big, you get to pretty much do what you want to do. Look at MS and how McAffee and Symantec and Adobe are whining about them. MS gets to do what they want. Nah. That's a bad example. MS is right and the whiners are wrong. GO BILL~! (And Ray and Steve too!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version