ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Making a combination super-security program, need help...

<< < (3/4) > >>

JavaJones:
Frankly using 30+ programs for security on one computer is just asking for trouble. I can't see who your target audience for this would really be. Power users who would know enough to fully utilize all tools would know which ones to use anyway, and would probably prefer to be able to install and customize themselves. Meanwhile inexperienced users would not be wise to use it as it will really overcomplicate things, and most people have no need for such extreme "security". Honestly if someone is that paranoid, just don't ever connect to the 'net. :D

I don't mean to discourage you, I love the enthusiasm you have for the project and for learning and doing things. I just think this is not a very productive use of time. Better to find the few best programs in a given category and learn how to make them work best together, then publish that info, or even make a package of those apps. It should take no more than 10 *at most*, and I would say 5 should be very good. To create a free package I would recommend as a start Ewido/AVG Anti-spyware or Windows Defender, Etrust or Kaspersky/AOL or AVG free antivirus, Spywareblaster (for immunization), Spybot S&D (mostly for immunization), and some free antispam app (I don't know which is best).

The other issue to consider with all of this is the legality of redistributing these apps. Check the EULA's of all apps to be sure.

- Oshyan

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
... I love the enthusiasm you have for the project and for learning and doing things. I just think this is not a very productive use of time ...
 ... The other issue to consider with all of this is the legality of redistributing these apps. Check the EULA's of all apps to be sure.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (October 20, 2006, 11:59 PM)
--- End quote ---
yes, same here amigo.
best of luck with this great project.
you've made a great choice to join these forums. many great coders here.

EULAs are my concern for you too. most would NOT want you to distribute their software. mostly due to customers/clients getting updates

wr975:

I've to agree with JavaJones. 30+ security tools ... what for? That's for security-paranoid power-users. Latest SP, post SP-updates (autopatcher.com), IE7 and a freeware antivirus scanner or perhaps LiveCare is enough security for most people.

Anyway, to install all tools in automated mode, I'd probably do a Autohotkey-Script as installer. Starting, waiting for windows to appear, send keystrokes... Install all applications without user input.

Do NOT install AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (it hogs the processor)!
--- End quote ---

Since you probably install more than one AV, I'm not surprised.  ;)

Avira PE Classic is known to be no ressource hog at all. It's one of the few AV which can be installed on old machines.

Do NOT run more than one scanner at once (the laptop gets EXTREMELY hot and can burn you)
--- End quote ---

Poor HDD... :)

I would never install more than one virus scanner at once.

wreckedcarzz:
The problem with the AntiVir program is the shield- not sure why, but that is what it is.
The EULA thing...when updates occur I just send out emails/IMs with links to the new versions. Yea, I do know that 30 programs is an overhaul, but I test so many shaky programs that is became nessessary (if you do test programs or a weekly basis you might know what I'm talking about).
The program is aimed twards mid-range users that need free protection (all the programs that JavaJones said are part of it).
The Gateway laptop took a few (quite fatal) blows after my dad got..."agrivated" (as he puts it) and lifted it up about 6" and dropped it... :o (hes a true "basic user").

Any help as part of a control panel/launcher for this "program"?

wr975:
Any help as part of a control panel/launcher for this "program"?
-wreckedcarzz (October 27, 2006, 07:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using AutoPlay Menu Creator for creating monthly update-CDs. It's not freeware, but it comes with lifetime-updates.

http://www.linasoft.com/apmbuilder.php

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version