topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Making a combination super-security program, need help...  (Read 9872 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Making a combination super-security program, need help...
« on: October 19, 2006, 12:20 AM »
OK, let me start out by stating,

I am not affiliated, work for (I'm 13, c'mon), or support these companies or programs. I simply assist people with computer maintenance and care.

Now that the legal stuff is out of the way...

Some history on the project:
It started about 3 years ago, I put together a group of programs and deemed it (after the store CompUSA) CompBMS (computer-Brandon Montgomery Seal). It has rapidly evolved, gaining more and more programs, and has gone through the names CompBMS, CompuKING, CompuTECH and is now CompuCARE. It is a quite long list of programs (about 30+) for COMPLETE computer security. (Now if your reading this and you just lost your jaw thinking that that many programs on one computer is insane, keep your pants on). It has gone through about 15+ anti spyware, 10+ antivirus, 5+ firewalls (yes, we have had problems with multiple firewalls, yea yea yea, it is a work in progress and for the time being it only uses 1 firewall (2 if you count the Windows Firewall) and several other tools.

What I need assistance with:
Currently, I am downloading and placing the files into one central directory on my Desktop. I need someone to compile an installer and someone to make a program that can launch each security program (similar to the Windows Media Center layout). The whole thing is currently TEXT BASED (yes, open that Word document and click that link...maybe it will work (if the instructions were followed) maybe it wont...) and it extremely annoying to upkeep (and run, for that matter).

What the idea is behind this much security:
As the whole world will tell you, if you are on Windows and on the internet, chances are your computer will be infected with SOMETHING within the 1st hour of uptime. SO basically (in testing on 3 computers) what this huge (overkill, as people commonly refer to in) mass-program type thing does is using ALL of it's tools, secures your computer 360 degrees, 24 hours, 7 days, 356 days, constantly. I use freeware tools to patch/update files as necessary, but I really need some help with the whole...coding/compiling into a huge folder thing.

If you would like to help you may Instant Message me, email me, or Personal Message me. The addresses are as follows:
PM: click the button below my name that says Personal Message
E-mail (primary): [email protected]
AIM #1: wreckedcarzz
AIM #2: wreckedcarzzzz
AIM #3: WreckedGTACarzz
MSN #1: [email protected]
MSN #2: [email protected] (not sure if this is still active)
MSN #3: [email protected] (MSN says that the address has NOT been verified, this is true because I still haven't gotten the message (in almost a year) and have requested it about 4 times.)
Yahoo!: wreckedcarzz
IRC: wreckedcarzz (default channel I believe, I use Gaim so whatever the default one is on there is the one I can be found on- I have yet to use it so I may not reply simply because I am trying to figure out how  :))

Thank you,
-Wreckedcarzz

P.S.: If you are interested in obtaining a copy of the "software" (you can't really call it software, but a "heap of security programs" is more descriptive) it can be downloaded (hopefully) soon with a link here.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Making a combination super-security program, need help...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:26 AM »
note that posting your email on a forum will garantee to get you on spam lists due to robots that scan all forums - just a heads up that you may prefer people just sending you a message through the forum..

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 12:27 AM »
Inno Setup is a nice installer (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php) but there are others as well.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 12:37 AM »
yeah, mouser's right. in some other forums, posting emails is frowned upon..
btw, my choice: Install Creator

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 12:51 AM »
Actually, lanux, I use Install Creator (free version) for some of my small 2D game projects, and use their Patch Maker as well. As for spambots, I don't really worry about em'...about 75% of my inbox is spam, but Thunderbird filters it out just fine, so I don't get concerned about it  :). I'll give Inno a shot, see what it can do.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 01:08 AM »
ok, then. ;) btw, while Install Creator is GUI-based, Inno Setup is totally script-based. so you might want to check out one of the 3rd party tools that provides GUI interface: ISTool.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 01:39 AM »
agree, istool rocks.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006, 05:06 PM »
Yea, I went to the Inno site, and about 30 seconds into it I knew there was NO WAY I could get that to work...I can't even get the 1st lesson in the self-teaching programming school. :-[
But anyways, going to look at ISTool now...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 10:08 AM »
wreckedcarzz,

First off all it is nice to see you taking on such a project. They best way to learn is to try, progress to do, and then to teach. You are on the right track.

And some questions for you:
1) What is your motivation for this project? IOW why did you choose this project?
2) What is the targeted use case?
3) Do you want to learn/do each piece of the project yourself, or concentrate on the collection/integration of the pieces and have other do things like create the installer for you?
4) Have you thought about creating test cases using virtual machines to test your software?

And finally, Three days ago I started to play with NSIS. It is script driven, but some GUI wizard exist. It is free, popular, and very capable.

And last, but not least, good luck with your project  :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 12:46 PM »
wreckedcarzz,

First off all it is nice to see you taking on such a project. They best way to learn is to try, progress to do, and then to teach. You are on the right track.

And some questions for you:
1) What is your motivation for this project? IOW why did you choose this project?
2) What is the targeted use case?
3) Do you want to learn/do each piece of the project yourself, or concentrate on the collection/integration of the pieces and have other do things like create the installer for you?
4) Have you thought about creating test cases using virtual machines to test your software?

And finally, Three days ago I started to play with NSIS. It is script driven, but some GUI wizard exist. It is free, popular, and very capable.

And last, but not least, good luck with your project  :Thmbsup:

1: I have always wanted to do things with the computers, and the biggest thing that is in Microsoft Windows is security problems, so I follow that (the options are nearly endless).
2: What do you mean by "targeted use case"? As in basic home user, power user, etc?
3: I have been trying to learn how to put programs together myself...but I have been trying to get the 1st scripting assignment from the forum-school, and have yet to figure out a way to get it to work... Basicly I have good ideas but don't have most of the know-how to put it together...(I have made a couple functional copies, but installing them on a computer via installer may cause problems with the shortcuts...)
4: I utilize the 3rd party software for the entire scanning/removal/blocking, the thing I am trying to get is something to make it install everything in a special directory with a shortcut to a "launch panel" type thing for initializing all the programs.
As far as testing goes (for the 2 or 3 functional ones I have done...) the directories and shortcuts do work and have no effect on the programs functionality...(it works seamlessly).

I do have a couple bugs that I have recorded, but they are 3rd party program problems, not the launcher/compile problems. If any of you are on a Gateway 7110GX laptop...
Do NOT install AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (it hogs the processor)!
Do NOT use Norton Systemworks 2003/2004 (scans hog the processor and there are optimization problems)!
Do NOT run more than one scanner at once (the laptop gets EXTREMELY hot and can burn you)

NSIS is a program I have tried...great end-user installer, but too difficult for me (unless there was something I was overlooking...)

-Wreckedcarzz

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 11:59 PM »
Frankly using 30+ programs for security on one computer is just asking for trouble. I can't see who your target audience for this would really be. Power users who would know enough to fully utilize all tools would know which ones to use anyway, and would probably prefer to be able to install and customize themselves. Meanwhile inexperienced users would not be wise to use it as it will really overcomplicate things, and most people have no need for such extreme "security". Honestly if someone is that paranoid, just don't ever connect to the 'net. :D

I don't mean to discourage you, I love the enthusiasm you have for the project and for learning and doing things. I just think this is not a very productive use of time. Better to find the few best programs in a given category and learn how to make them work best together, then publish that info, or even make a package of those apps. It should take no more than 10 *at most*, and I would say 5 should be very good. To create a free package I would recommend as a start Ewido/AVG Anti-spyware or Windows Defender, Etrust or Kaspersky/AOL or AVG free antivirus, Spywareblaster (for immunization), Spybot S&D (mostly for immunization), and some free antispam app (I don't know which is best).

The other issue to consider with all of this is the legality of redistributing these apps. Check the EULA's of all apps to be sure.

- Oshyan

Jammo the OrganizedFellow

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • OrganizedFellow
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 03:18 AM »
... I love the enthusiasm you have for the project and for learning and doing things. I just think this is not a very productive use of time ...
 ... The other issue to consider with all of this is the legality of redistributing these apps. Check the EULA's of all apps to be sure.

- Oshyan
yes, same here amigo.
best of luck with this great project.
you've made a great choice to join these forums. many great coders here.

EULAs are my concern for you too. most would NOT want you to distribute their software. mostly due to customers/clients getting updates
As an aspiring web developer/designer, it is a constant struggle to cope with my ADHD + Hypomania/Bipolar Disorder.

The slow growth of my web dev projects is eclipsed by my patience, understanding and desire to learn AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE as I slowly progress.

X_____jamjammo_____

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2006, 09:20 AM »

I've to agree with JavaJones. 30+ security tools ... what for? That's for security-paranoid power-users. Latest SP, post SP-updates (autopatcher.com), IE7 and a freeware antivirus scanner or perhaps LiveCare is enough security for most people.

Anyway, to install all tools in automated mode, I'd probably do a Autohotkey-Script as installer. Starting, waiting for windows to appear, send keystrokes... Install all applications without user input.

Do NOT install AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (it hogs the processor)!

Since you probably install more than one AV, I'm not surprised.  ;)

Avira PE Classic is known to be no ressource hog at all. It's one of the few AV which can be installed on old machines.

Do NOT run more than one scanner at once (the laptop gets EXTREMELY hot and can burn you)

Poor HDD... :)

I would never install more than one virus scanner at once.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 07:31 PM »
The problem with the AntiVir program is the shield- not sure why, but that is what it is.
The EULA thing...when updates occur I just send out emails/IMs with links to the new versions. Yea, I do know that 30 programs is an overhaul, but I test so many shaky programs that is became nessessary (if you do test programs or a weekly basis you might know what I'm talking about).
The program is aimed twards mid-range users that need free protection (all the programs that JavaJones said are part of it).
The Gateway laptop took a few (quite fatal) blows after my dad got..."agrivated" (as he puts it) and lifted it up about 6" and dropped it... :o (hes a true "basic user").

Any help as part of a control panel/launcher for this "program"?

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 02:47 PM »
Any help as part of a control panel/launcher for this "program"?

I'm using AutoPlay Menu Creator for creating monthly update-CDs. It's not freeware, but it comes with lifetime-updates.

http://www.linasoft.com/apmbuilder.php

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 02:34 AM »
thanks, just the kind of thing i was looking for!