topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:55 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Forum Discrimination....  (Read 8477 times)

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Forum Discrimination....
« on: October 18, 2006, 06:22 AM »
Do you guys have any experience?
The latest one I have blew me off.

I made a suggestion to have a FAQ sticky at one forum. No replies from any moderators. A few weeks later, someone made the same suggestion and wham! instantly(or a few hours later) 2 moderators replied. The FAQ is created.

The only difference is my post count is lower. I have 70+ and he has 250. I don't know why so many forums give priority to high post count users. Doesn't anyone start with 0 post count?

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
Re: Forum Discrimination....
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 06:37 AM »
I guess it depends on the forum... if that happened here, it would probably be because the moderators simply didn't see your thread :). But yeah, on most forums there will be a tendency to favour the "regulars", in varying degrees, and depending on the topic at hand...
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 06:50 AM »
I'd say it depends more on the suggested FAQ - if it is a good idea I don't care who puts it forward ;) (And I have checked your posts to make sure it wasn't me who made a boo boo).

Actually it is almost impossible to read every post - especially in lively threads as "Unread Posts" only shows you the most recent post in a thread. It is very easy to miss things.

If you have suggestions it might be worth starting a new thread so it will be seen by someone - and if others agree you will find people adding that support in your own thread. If the suggestion arises from conversation in an existing thread you can always post the URL of your own thread so that peopel reading can jump over and "Hey I agress/disagree"

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 06:59 AM »
Not the forums here. :D
It's actually at a product forum.

Just need to rant a bit and let off the steam.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 07:49 AM »
Do you guys have any experience?
The latest one I have blew me off.

I made a suggestion to have a FAQ sticky at one forum. No replies from any moderators. A few weeks later, someone made the same suggestion and wham! instantly(or a few hours later) 2 moderators replied. The FAQ is created.

The only difference is my post count is lower. I have 70+ and he has 250. I don't know why so many forums give priority to high post count users. Doesn't anyone start with 0 post count?

Don't think the world is out to get you. While it certainly is possible for this discrimination to exist, it is just as possible, and perhaps even more likely that it was just an oversight. The thing about jumping to conclusions is that there are millions of reasons why something could have happened. It's unhealthy and perhaps even conceited to choose the one that implies personal insult.

I like to give people and situations the benefit of the doubt. I've found that I'm less stressed and more happy, and (I think) equally important, it keeps me out of unnecessary arguments based on misunderstandings. Sounds like a win-win to me.

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 08:42 AM »
@AdIyhc.  It's great to know you felt free to "vent" on this site.  You join a long list of venters here -- on everything from operating systems, to software that doesn't work, to videos we don't like, to authors we think are bunk, to companies that don't respond to our needs.  We can all relate to your feeling of being ignored on a site (even if we might understand it on an intellectual level).  Glad to know you haven't had that experience here, though. :D
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 09:29 AM »
Forums are a different kind of world.  People act very differently when they are masked behind anonymity.  A lot of the people who are very aggressive and short-tempered on forums may be very shy and meek in the real world.  Some people who write a lot in posts may seem to be not that sociable in person.  It's just a different world.

This DC forum is the only forum I've been on that has remained civil from day one until now.  I can't put my finger on why, but it's a testament to mouser and the people here.  When I write on forums, I try to word things the way I would actually speak in real life because I am personally self-conscious about these things and I don't want someone who meets me in person thinking I'm a totally different personality online.

In my attempt to reduce my time online, I've stopped posting in forums, except this one.  I used to post on this Lakers forum before, but I've stopped because every thread would eventually get hijacked by a wiseass or juevenile comments.

Well, there's my vent.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:21 AM »
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but somebody somewhere posted a screenshot of two different forum posts.
Exact question on both.
One had 2 responses
One had 54 responses
The Difference?
The one with 2 responses was posted by 'Bob' the other, by 'Michelle'

:P

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 11:26 AM »
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but somebody somewhere posted a screenshot of two different forum posts.
Exact question on both.
One had 2 responses
One had 54 responses
The Difference?
The one with 2 responses was posted by 'Bob' the other, by 'Michelle'

:P

Oh, I remember.. long, long time ago as Internet was new for me. My friend and I were toying around with IRC trying to see if we'd find a person who'll chat with us. So we log into some iRC channel newbies, or whatever.

"Hi, my name's Peter.... someone want to chat with me?"

None replied.

So we logged off. Changed the nick to "Irene from Sweden" and logged on.

This time we didn't even have to ask... ;D

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 12:33 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 07:02 PM »
Forums are a different kind of world.  People act very differently when they are masked behind anonymity.  A lot of the people who are very aggressive and short-tempered on forums may be very shy and meek in the real world.  Some people who write a lot in posts may seem to be not that sociable in person.  It's just a different world.

This DC forum is the only forum I've been on that has remained civil from day one until now.  I can't put my finger on why, but it's a testament to mouser and the people here.  When I write on forums, I try to word things the way I would actually speak in real life because I am personally self-conscious about these things and I don't want someone who meets me in person thinking I'm a totally different personality online.

In my attempt to reduce my time online, I've stopped posting in forums, except this one.  I used to post on this Lakers forum before, but I've stopped because every thread would eventually get hijacked by a wiseass or juevenile comments.

Well, there's my vent.

That's true. I forgot to mention that it also depends on the people at the forum and what kind of forum it is.

When I was a teenager I joined a Yahoo! Group that was also filled mainly with teenagers. Of all the members there, I could only count on about seven others to keep the discussion civil and not resort to flaming. It was an, uh, "art" group, so there was plenty of criticizing when there should have been critiquing and most people were very sensitive about their own work while being insensitive to just about everyone else's.

AdIyhc

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • aka KikiBibi
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 07:30 PM »
.....In my attempt to reduce my time online, I've stopped posting in forums, except this one.  I used to post on this Lakers forum before, but I've stopped because every thread would eventually get hijacked by a wiseass or juevenile comments....
I like to give people and situations the benefit of the doubt. I've found that I'm less stressed and more happy, and (I think) equally important, it keeps me out of unnecessary arguments based on misunderstandings. Sounds like a win-win to me.
-Deozaan
Totally agree with you and the rest.
I think I need to reduce my time online too. :D

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 05:52 AM »
Oh, I remember.. long, long time ago as Internet was new for me. My friend and I were toying around with IRC trying to see if we'd find a person who'll chat with us. So we log into some iRC channel newbies, or whatever.

"Hi, my name's Peter.... someone want to chat with me?"

None replied.

So we logged off. Changed the nick to "Irene from Sweden" and logged on.

This time we didn't even have to ask... ;D

Thats reminds me of an IRC welcome message a PC mag quoted a good while back, it read along the lines of:

"Welcome to IRC where the men are men, the women are men, and the little boys are FBI agents."

ghtfuo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 02:01 PM »
 :-[ :-[