ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cool Open Source file-sharing app: HTTP File Server (HFS)

<< < (4/6) > >>

herbiman:
Actually fodder, i do know what it's like where you are !

I'm dk too, use TDC which is expensive (static IP) but v. reliable and can't be bothered to switch, but if you know a good ISP? Fibre is a real future possibility, because landlord (DAB) is ok, and we just need a simple majority of apartment-dwellers (& Inet is v. popular);  but I won't be able to afford it.

f0dder:
herbiman: my mum is still on 2048/512 TDC, and while it's one of the more stable ISPs, their support SUCKS when it's more advanced questions (like: "ok, WHY did you change our static IP when we got speed boosted, and wtf can't we get it back?"). They're a bit more competent if you have one of their business lines, but well...

I've moved to CyberCity SOLO, 350DKK/month for the 4096/512 line (which should only be 256 up, but I'm not complaining ;)). You lose all tech support, except if there's something wrong with the line or the router. But you can't call them for help on configuring stuff etc. Stability seems as good as TDC, it's certainly cheaper, and I do get the advertised speed.

Fibre in the Århus and Horsens regions is around 400/month for 10/10, cheaper for 1/1. In Silkeborg, it's insanely expensive... depends on the energy company as well the fibre provider.

herbiman:
Thanks for the info, fodder.

I'm in Værløse and can potentially save 100 ddk a month or get a faster line if I switch to Cybercity. I can live without phone support, so am talking to their Customer support right now.

zridling:
Thanks for the corrections, Herbiman! As Peter Herbert noted, HFS can be used to host websites, but it wasn't necessarily designed to do so.

voice_of_reason:
i was using hfs for a while, then i wanted to use it  as a drive i could access over the internet but i couldn't. i kept looking deeper into it and realized that it won't work behind a router... and i'm behind a router. is there anyway i could make it accessible from the internet still behind the router? or do i have to do it when im not behind a router?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version