ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Cool Open Source file-sharing app: HTTP File Server (HFS)

<< < (5/6) > >>

rejetto:
it does work behind a router, but as any other server software, requires you to configure the router adequately.
you'll get the help you need at http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm

ewemoa:
More than 3 years later ... :)

Echoing the general sentiment here -- finding HFS to be quite nice  :Thmbsup:

Particularly appreciate that it works under WINE -- nice to have quick file-sharing under *nix without much hassle.  Also nice is the file-uploading feature.

Wondering whether others have encountered difficulties with the folder archive feature -- the resulting tar files seem to cause difficulty for tar under *nix (at least in some Debian-derivatives).  (I think this can be worked around via 7-Zip / WINE.)

Any thoughts?

rejetto:
thank you :)
HFS would deserve a full rewriting.
I would use python, make it cross platform, keep GUI and service separated, get rid of the difference between real and virtual folders, use python itself as scripting language, use XML or similar (json, yaml) for data storage.
Pity i have no enough spare time at the moment beacuse of my job.

I know nothing about TAR compatibility issues.

ewemoa:
Thanks for your response!

I examined a tar file I downloaded via the folder archive feature of HFS and compared it to one I made via 7-zip.

In the former I noticed that the file name portion (as described here) appears to use backslashes for directory separators, while in the latter, forward slashes appear to be used.

From my cursory research, my impression is that the tar file format expects forward slashes to be used for directory separators.  Perhaps someone with more definitive knowledge can chime in regarding this.

P.S. Sorry to hear you don't have more time -- a Python-based version sounds nice to me :)

rejetto:
maybe it's so in 2.2 but 2.3 (still in beta) is using forward slashes for sure (just checked)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version