topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:19 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Anyone else checking out FireFox 2.0 rc2?  (Read 21385 times)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone else checking out FireFox 2.0 rc2?
« on: October 13, 2006, 07:30 AM »
I've just recently installed the FireFox 2.0 rc2 build mostly because I wanted to see the inline spell checking in action. I must say I'm impressed with it overall. The new theme is very modern, and the whole package feels polished and clean.

I had intended to revert to the latest official 1.5.* but am so pleased with rc2 that I'll be sticking with it until 2.0 officially arrives (or an rc3 :) ).

recursive.png

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone else checking out FireFox 2.0 rc2?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 08:38 AM »
i was going to install and test it till i read you cant install it side by side with 1.5 - bad show.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 09:46 AM »
Hmm, that's a fair point. If I remember correctly rc1, or perhaps its was one of the betas I tried a while back did install side-by-side with v1.5.*. I guess perhaps they feel this version of FireFox is just about ready to replace the old.

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:49 AM »
I upgraded because one of my favorite themes tried to update when I checked on the update button and uninstalled when it said it was found, tried to install, then realized it was not compitable with 1.5.*...
So far I really can't complain about anything. I think it's only getting better and easier in all my internet uses.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 01:14 PM »
You can run 1.5.0.7 with 2.0, http://forums.mozill...ewtopic.php?t=462431 The guy runs 5 Firefox versions!

More or less starting to be waste of time but if you use "branch" build http://forums.mozill...g/viewforum.php?f=23 you get what has been coded after RC2. Daily updates through regular update feature. Only minor bugfixes left before final I guess. They keep doing this even after 2.0, will be 2.0.1 or whatever. Bugs, security fixes etc. are tested long time before they reach official release.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 04:41 AM »
Hmm, so no one has commented yet on my stylish use of recursion in the screenshot .

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 08:06 AM »
Hmm, so no one has commented yet on my stylish use of recursion in the screenshot .
Awesome!  :Thmbsup:

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 10:53 AM »
Wow, that's a stylish use of recursion in the screenshot, if I ever saw one!!  ;)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 11:50 AM »
That's more like it 8)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2006, 01:07 PM »
no one has commented yet on my stylish use of recursion in the screenshot

Damn! Damn!   That's recursin' recursion!
How long did it take to do that that that that?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2006, 02:00 PM »
How long did it take to do that that that that?
-cranioscopical (October 14, 2006, 01:07 PM)

Longer than it really deserved :P .

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2006, 02:52 PM »
I thought "nice, recursion" when I saw the shot, but of course I didn't see the thread until now... otherwise I would've commented on it :P

Is FF2 going to be faster and less of a hog than 1.5, or have they just added some bells and whistles?
- carpe noctem

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Both I think and didnt even find 1.5 slow or a hog. Overall 2.0 is probably more of an optimized 1.5 than something very new. More of the same just better http://en-us.www.moz...leasenotes/#whatsnew Whats new could have been more impressive with the planned replacement for history/bookmarks, didnt make because of problems. Will be in 3.0.

You can easily check why 2.0 was made with Leak Monitor extension. Pops up a bit too frequently with 1.5, hardly ever with 2.0. Only thinking about general web code now (Gmail or any Vbulletin forum for example), not extensions - many still not ok. Possible why I think 2.0 is faster and has better control over resources. Many complaints about resource dont make much sense but of course it can get better. Mozilla are aware of this and used mentioned extension and others in bug-hunting. Also the high max levels for ram cache have been cut down, as much as 40-50%. Why would they do that?  8) Media files still override cache limits, no problem getting it to use 100s of mb with 2gb of ram. Released later of course, more "of course" with 2.0 than 1.5, but nature is still to eat up available ram. Ive even run into a simple page using 90-100mb! Content can tease but I think just those strange "bugs" are what have been limited compared to 1.5. If you get general resource problems I doubt problem is Firefox or you have wrong idea of how much it is "supposed" to use.

Im still annoyed having to use at least a handful of extensions to get features I would expect build into Firefox. They really are too concerned about not going "Opera". "Power users" will become very tired of scrolling many open tabs - obvious solution is 2 or more tab bars, like some extension have been doing for years. Still not default or optional in 2.0. They could have done that but wont. Same with opening of tabs, no option of "next to current" always thrown at back. All part of hunting market shares where Grandma is in focus and must be satisfied, definitely not challenged - think they should realize Firefox main user base will always be geeks not grandmas and start act accordingly.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 04:57 PM »
think they should realize Firefox main user base will always be geeks not grandmas and start act accordingly.
Or they should just build in the options but not enable them by default. Maybe have a startup switch or wizard option (like Zipgenius or Tugzip for example) where you can choose "simple" or "advanced" modes and have those settings chosen automatically based on a particular "profile" of usage. It could still be further customized after of course.

- Oshyan

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 12:58 PM »
Yep, would be nice. They probably will say well install some extensions and make use of profile feature - then you have what you ask for. Not really. I think we are used to giants like MS etc. and dont realize Firefox is much more of a hobby project, in comparison at least. Matter of resources (priorities) They cant complete everything at same time. Replacement for bookmarks/history was quickly dropped at sign of problems - they must release 2.0 on schedule (IE7...) Yesterday I read a long blog entry from one of the programmers - all about Firefox 3.0, which they have worked on long time already. 2.0 is more or less over and out. All this movement could mean they have less focus on user experience and hang on to the the old "less is better" approach.

From what Ive seen some of the leading programmers are also very stubborn about requests for new options/changed GUI. Not easy to move.

I know they test stuff on usergroups, just like MS and others, majority rules but I still say the new tab scrolling is terrible, more so in combination with arrangement of new tabs. Can almost be unusable, dont see how there can be many opinions about that. Essential part of GUI so no use saying there are extensions to fix this. Usergroups found it make most sense to have close button on each tab. Ok, but why not have the optional "on active tab" "at end of tab bar" ? No you must go to about:config punch in a number at correct entry. There are more annoyances like this, not sure it is planned, consequence of circumstances/resources/time or what.

They did have time to implement Googles Antiphising of course.

Anyway, 2.0 engine definitely runs better and extension world is delivering big time.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 03:32 PM »
http://forums.mozill...ewtopic.php?t=475076 Post no. 5 is perfect example why there will never be agreement. Part of Firefox user base is like that. I wonder if he would even appreciate more options.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 03:40 PM »
I think we are used to giants like MS etc. and dont realize Firefox is much more of a hobby project, in comparison at least.

Hobby project? http://news.zdnet.co...9588_22-6048377.html

I dunno, I mean sure Mozilla itself is smaller than Microsoft as a whole, but they are focused only on the browser. Until IE7 began dev I doubt there even was much of an IE team. Certainly not many - if any - of them paid in the $100,000/yr range (read above news story). I think they have plenty of potential resources to get these kinds of things implemented. It's just a matter of how they choose to spend their money, what they encourage in the development community, and who they let run the project (narrow-minded "minimalist" zealots, or more reasonable people :D).

- Oshyan

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 05:25 PM »
True but you dont have to go that far back in history to find Mozilla people having doubts project. Like the guy who left and slammed the door up to 1.5 Other people involved agreed about lack of reviewers, decision makers. He was a bit angry, said there was no way 1.5 would make it, other less worried but problem was acknowledged by more than a few. This about 4-6 months before release. Im too lazy to find links but was definitely a headline. Google might have changed a thing or two. Sure, there are 100s of people who contribute, test, patch but as your link also shows paid staff is way less. May be also why the new resume thingy is build on top of an extension, rss feed the same, also spell checker. Authors have contributed their code.

Im not surprised they are well paid. With so relatively few people all got to be manager of something! They could have twice as many now, dont know. Time is also spend on partners like with Qualcomm. Another thing is it does not have to be the most effective organization ever. Too much money on too few hands perhaps or too much activity too fast.

Bottom line is 2.0 lacks some basic features for tab browsing which they have bragged about a few times. They could have made a multi-row tabbar easy, added some stuff from Tab Mix Plus - dont see how that can be considered bloat. Lets see with 2.01, 2.02 etc.

About IE7, may this Opera guy is right  8)

As a technologist, can you give an assessment of the job that Microsoft has done with IE 7?
Wium Lie: It's like you have a used car--what are you going to do with it? Are you going to get rid of it and get a new one? Or are you going to give it a paint job? I think (what) Microsoft has done here is given it a paint job.

http://news.com.com/...4184.html?tag=st.num

Black Mamba

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 02:45 AM »
RC3 still have problems with Java, I can't play pool on Yahoo. The playing window immediately closes itself after I've opened it.  :huh:

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2006, 04:30 AM »
You mean this http://uk.play.yahoo...ames/login?game=Pool Seems to work for me. Didnt first time because I missed the pop-up disable/enable warning. Think I got booted  8) You should see warning at top? Check Options, Content that you did not block Yahoo popups by mistake.

If you look at Error console there are loads of css warnings but no errors. I use latest Java 1.5.0.9 - changelog/buglist for some java versions can match those for Firefox so definitely upgrade if using old. Hmm, now I remember Im still on 1.5.0.8, not yet bothered to upgrade because of a tiny changelog this time.

Most likely you can get problem confirmed or not at Mozillazine forums http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php Crappy/broken search is starting to make place annoying but I will be surprised if you dont find Yahoo on page 1 or 2 in bugs/support forum. May be mentioned in sticky/known problems? I saw one reply to similar complain saying Yahoo is still full of IE code blah blah, solution is to use IEtab or IEview. Dont know about that, may be some pages.

In general Yahoo is one of the sites they ask testers of betas/RCs to use so eventually it should work. Favorite sites, home banking etc. MUST work with official release or there will be trouble.

Heh, and just now Firefox crashed when I closed it. I think I know why  8) Well I did see a pool table... no guarantee you will.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 04:54 AM by dk70 »

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2006, 11:40 AM »
My only complaint is the close button on each of the tabs... I liked the old version where you could close them all the way on the right, use your mousewheel to scroll between them and you're done. Rather now you have to go to the tab and kill it. But this is coming from a Keyboard enthusiast and a mouse minimalist.  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2006, 11:58 AM »
I havent been using FF for a while but installed 2
It looks a lot better than the old FF "out of the box"
but
this thing of not showing all open tabs,
& then, when you open new tab it goes to the end of the queue (if you want it to open in background) & you gotta search for it,
I dont know,
doesnt seem good logic to me, or maybe Im missing something.

Disclaimer :): I'm an Opera fan.
I go back to FF for adblocking & Flashblock,
makes internet a more peaceful place,
but,
also back to it now cause I invested in Surfulator which doesnt work with Opera.

Tom

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2006, 12:11 PM »
I havent been using FF for a while but installed 2
It looks a lot better than the old FF "out of the box"
but
this thing of not showing all open tabs,
& then, when you open new tab it goes to the end of the queue (if you want it to open in background) & you gotta search for it,

You can change where you want your tabs to open in your settings ( Tools = Options = Tabs ) Check it out.  :Thmbsup:

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2006, 12:53 PM »
http://kb.mozillazin...er.tabs.closeButtons show how to rule close button - so a value of 3 will be "(Firefox 1.x behavior)".

There are also some settings for width of tabs, before the hated scroll icons kicks in. I use Tab Control https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1480/ to get new tab next to current, covers a bit more.

No way around Tab Mix Plus if you want much more - http://tmp.garyr.net/ use Dev build for 2.0. See forum thread, very old stable dev-build. Be careful about Undo and session manager/crash control in TMP, 2.0 have own so disable one of the two. Session manager can still be used to manually save/restore.

http://weblogs.mozil.../top_ten_addons.html sad I think. One of the best known Firefox employees come up with 5 extensions and 1 is a theme, another a search plugin! May be they really need some new blood at top levels.
Firefox has always come very close to satisfying me right out of the box -- perhaps that has something to do with the fact that I helped define the initial feature set :-)
Good for him, not good for more than 10-15% market share ;) Those who like extensions/tweaking shouldnt care for 1 second but majority dont use any or have the time/interest to fill gaps.