topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Where to find barebone case with 5.25" bays?  (Read 5107 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Where to find barebone case with 5.25" bays?
« on: October 13, 2006, 03:23 AM »
I can't seem to find what I'm looking for, please offer any suggestions.

I'm looking for a completely barebones alumnium case that has two 5.25" bays in it and room for a power supply box.  I don't need anything else it it, like adapters for sata, usb or anything like that.  Basically, I just want the alumnimum box with slots in it the right size to put in any 5.25 device (hard drive, dvd, anything).  Maybe I can't figure out the proper term for this, that's why I can't find it on the web.  The only thing I run into are hard drive enclosures and other things pre-adapted for a specific use.

You know how when you buy a tower for your computer, it comes with nothing except the tower and sometimes a power supply?  Something like that, only really small and just big enough for two 5.25 devices.

Thanks!

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Where to find barebone case with 5.25" bays?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 03:38 AM »
So... do you want a computer case for 2x5.25 and a motherboard etc, or *just* 2x5.25 devices and a powersupply, but no computer?
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 04:45 PM »
So... do you want a computer case for 2x5.25 and a motherboard etc, or *just* 2x5.25 devices and a powersupply, but no computer?
*just* the 5.25 devices and powersupply, no computer.  If there's nothing like that, but there are some that also hold a motherboard, that's fine also.

http://www.directron.../dualenclosures.html
Thanks mouser, but those are "dual purpose" enclosures instead of dual bay enclosures.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 05:36 PM »
Ok, I've thought about a couple other options...if it rings a bell with something you are familiar with, please let me know.  Again, I'm looking for something that can accomodate two 5.25 bays and a normal sized computer power supply.

Here is something from Icy Dock that resembles what I'm talking about.  What I don't like about it is that it is already pre-configured for SATA drives.  I'm looking for just a frame that holds any 5.25 devices, no electric components on it.  But the look and size of this thing is similar to what I want:
http://www.icydock.c...duct/mb561us-4s.html

Here are some pictures of something that is the perfect size (it's from Shuttle).  The problem, again, is that all the components are inside this thing, I just want the bare frame.
http://global.shuttl...e/SD37P2-Gallery.asp

Another thing I have heard of is a "half-rack".  Racks for computer equipment ar 19", and a half-rack apparently is half of that width.  If I can find some kind of half-rack case that has room for two 5.25 bays and a power supply, that might be perfect.  But I can't find any cases the size of a half rack.  I found full width racks that can hold 2 or 3 5.25 bays, but I want them stacked vertically, with a shorter width and taller frame.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 05:55 PM by superboyac »

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2006, 06:03 PM »
Hmmm...

Old computer frame + hacksaw...

8)

Those old PI and PII machines could sometimes hold like 4 cd drives. (I have at least 5 of these in my basement)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 06:11 PM by Edvard »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2006, 11:30 PM »
What about a case intended for CD multiple duplication?

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 12:06 AM »
Hmmm...

Old computer frame + hacksaw...

8)

Those old PI and PII machines could sometimes hold like 4 cd drives. (I have at least 5 of these in my basement)
Yeah, I was just thinking that also.  My cousin is good with this stuff, maybe I can modify the frame that holds the bays and put it in a nice box or something.

What about a case intended for CD multiple duplication?
-cranioscopical (October 30, 2006, 11:30 PM)
I looked for a similar item, but the closest I could find was something designed to hold a couple ide devices (cd or hard drive).  I'll do another search, thanks.