ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SCRIBUS - Open Source Desktop Publishing

(1/11) > >>

tomos:
"Scribus is an open-source program that brings award-winning professional page layout to Linux/Unix, MacOS X and Windows desktops with a combination of "press-ready" output and new approaches to page layout.

Underneath the modern and user friendly interface, Scribus supports professional publishing features, such as CMYK color, separations, ICC color management and versatile PDF creation."
--- End quote ---

Recent Screenshots here
Heres a screenshot from an older* version:

There's been regular updates this year,
It seems to be a good website, good FAQs (I found them helpful anyway - I don't know much about page layout myself ...)

Take note!:
I just installed this but got told i should have Ghostscript installed first

*Needed to get permission to show the recent screenshots from their website. (aint got the time for that :P )

[edit] jgpaiva: please use attachthumb=# instead of attach=# when using large images, i own a small screen :P [/edit]
[edit] tom: okey dokey :) [/edit]

JavaJones:
Oho! Sounds very promising. Have you gotten a chance to play with this yet? Just about anything has to be better than Quark. ;D Indesign is ok, but open source and cross-platform is very attractive. I'd love to be able to more easily share source files with my graphic designer at work (who is on a Mac and using apps I have no access to).

Let us know if you have any feedback!

- Oshyan

Darwin:
Ragtime 6 will be out in November and is well worth a look, too (though it is not open-source AND is only free for home/academic use, otherwise the price is pretty steep - $695...). I've played around with the beta for 6 and really like it as a free app (I qualify for educational licensing) but am not sure how I would feel if I was required to pay full price for it! I'll be giving SCRIBUS a look-see, too!

JavaJones:
Interesting. Do Academic *organizations* (schools) qualify? I didn't immediately see any info about it on their site. I'll definitely take a look.

- Oshyan

tomos:
Oho! Sounds very promising. Have you gotten a chance to play with this yet? Just about anything has to be better than Quark. ;D
- Oshyan
-JavaJones (October 15, 2006, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've installed it but it hasn't "found" ghostscript - think there's something in the FAQs about it but I havent had the time yet ..

I won't be able to compare it anyways cause I havent used Quark OR Indesign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version