ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

12 Windows Explorer Alternatives Compared

(1/17) > >>

mouser:
People have been waiting for us to do a big comparison review of windows explorer alternatives; this is a very nice comparison of many of the best:

Windows Explorer, the default file manager for Microsoft Windows, hasn’t really changed all that much over the years. Below you’ll find reviews, screenshots and links to download 10 11 12 different alternatives.

--- End quote ---

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/10/11/10-windows-explorer-alternatives-compared-and-reviewed/

from Veign's Blog: http://www.veign.com/blog/

lanux128:
quite a good review but a mention of my favourite Servant Salamander would have been nice. also might want to add XYPlorer too..

Dirhael:
quite a good review but a mention of my favourite Servant Salamander would have been nice. also might want to add XYPlorer too..
-lanux128 (October 13, 2006, 02:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

For a lot of people, Servant Salamander isn't really a good alternative in its current state. The lack of Unicode support makes it pretty much worthless to me. It's a shame really, because I really enjoyed it when I tested it. It looks good, feels good, has excellent speed and not to mention all of the useful functions it comes bundled with. While I doubt I'll ever switch from Directory Opus, I'll be very interested to further evaluate that Salamander when it finally supports Unicode :)

As for the comparison itself, I think it's nice to see someone take interest in the file manager category, but I do take issue with some of those scores. I get the impression that the author haven't really taken the time to really get to know the various programs at all. It seems like a few of them have barely been installed, then given a score. Anyway, I can't really complain though, as there are a lot more products featured there than in most of the so-called "pro" reviews.

f0dder:
Hrm, that wasn't exactly a review... there's only a few lines of text for each, no justification on how he has rated the programs, no pros/cons, and for Total Commander he even writes: "Having only used it for about 30 minutes total (so far), take these comments with a grain of salt."

Perhaps not a bad start, but certainly not very useful in it's current state, except for showing a batch of explorer replacements that you might want to try out, as well as having copy/pasted their feature highlights from their webpages.

Lashiec:
Good find! I'll take a peek, it's not that comprehensive, but it's better than nothing

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version