topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Whats the best OS?  (Read 6281 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Whats the best OS?
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:21 PM »
I know about Windows, Mac, Linux, and Unix, but what one is BEST? (in terms of features that allow 100% customization WITHOUT having to go into files and editing lines after lines after lines, but in the graphical interface itself.
Thanks all,
-Wreckedcarzz

Hellie

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Whats the best OS?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2006, 07:17 AM »
SUSE Linux Enterpirse Desktop 10.1. Its $50 a year for the updates. I have just got rid of XP as I was fed up of it crashing and I have a brand new PC. Its just brilliant I will never ever go back to Bill Gates. Its very easy to use and you get support.

Yes I know you can get totally open source Linux but as I work from home I need something simple and reliable. So long as you are reasonably IT competant its fine, I just cannot believe the huge improvement. Its an absolute pleasure to use.

Helen

« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 07:19 AM by Hellie »

Mizraim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 09:54 AM »
SUSE! I don't have that much experience using it, but several of my friends use it on their laptops and I agree with them that it is the best out-of-a-box OS avaliable.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Honestly, I think the best OS depends on what you want to use it for. Each OS has its share of strengths and its share of weaknesses. What do YOU want to use the OS for?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:13 PM »
OS versus OS, I love Linux -- most distros, though ubuntu I've spent the most time with. (Prior I used debian -- ubuntu is essentially built on debian but with more timely updates).  I, however, use windows almost exclusively because the -software- I love isn't available for Linux.  Lock in :)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2006, 10:18 PM »
There is no best for every one.. there is only best for yourself  :-\ Sure you have communities of people who have the same <os|thing> as their best.. but that's all.. just like software..

the best is what you like to use, what you find helps you alot.. how will you know what you want to use? you can get recommendations.. like reviews.. and you probably will find some thing you really like.. or you can go around and try out stuff untill you find some thing you really like.. then maybe/probably some where down the line you find some thing even better..

and again.

there is no one solution for every one (wether it be computer-related, or w/e), people are different, people change.. preferences change..

Why would you ask to know the best os? I guess you just want to use the best tools right? Well by asking this question you are just gonna get other peoples opinions.. and they're just that.. opinions.. sure you might take some opinions influence more than others.. sure you might find a really great <thing> from an opinion.. but it's not the best.. because the best is different for any one.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Honestly, I think the best OS depends on what you want to use it for. Each OS has its share of strengths and its share of weaknesses. What do YOU want to use the OS for?
I have a dual-partition hard drive, so I need 2 of then actually. 1 for normal use (internet, email, music, movie editing, the works) and another for gaming (hard-core resource hoggers).

There is no best for every one.. there is only best for yourself  :-\ Sure you have communities of people who have the same <os|thing> as their best.. but that's all.. just like software..

the best is what you like to use, what you find helps you alot.. how will you know what you want to use? you can get recommendations.. like reviews.. and you probably will find some thing you really like.. or you can go around and try out stuff until you find some thing you really like.. then maybe/probably some where down the line you find some thing even better..

and again.

there is no one solution for every one (wether it be computer-related, or w/e), people are different, people change.. preferences change..

Why would you ask to know the best os? I guess you just want to use the best tools right? Well by asking this question you are just gonna get other peoples opinions.. and they're just that.. opinions.. sure you might take some opinions influence more than others.. sure you might find a really great <thing> from an opinion.. but it's not the best.. because the best is different for any one.
Well I need something that can run faster than Windows (I LOVE Windows!) because it seems to slow down over time, and I constantly use my laptop (on a frightening level of time. literally about 24/7). I have tried to install a couple versions of Linux (sounds great) because I found a couple that ran like Windows but maintined themselves, but I couldn't compile em (or make them for CD boot).

SUSE Linux Enterpirse Desktop 10.1. Its $50 a year for the updates. I have just got rid of XP as I was fed up of it crashing and I have a brand new PC. Its just brilliant I will never ever go back to Bill Gates. Its very easy to use and you get support.

Yes I know you can get totally open source Linux but as I work from home I need something simple and reliable. So long as you are reasonably IT competant its fine, I just cannot believe the huge improvement. Its an absolute pleasure to use.

Helen

Sounds good- what are like the new major improvements and where can I buy it (online I'm assuming...)?

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 11:12 AM »
I do hope you realize that for what you've stated, I honestly feel that Windows is your best best. Since you say you are a gamer, and that you want something that can do inet, video editing, email, etc. Windows is honestly your best choice IMO.

While linux can do the latter part, for the most part (minus video editing which it lacks any really POWERFUL tools for), it is not a platform for a gamer. Dual booting, while possible, can be more of a pain in the butt than its worth. Rather than dual booting, I would suggest picking up a $200 pc off ebay, getting a KVM switch, and running each os on its own pc if you insist on two OS's just until you've learned the alternative well enough.

Just my two cents.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2006, 12:07 PM »
I have 2 computers accessable to me...but sounds like I'll be looking at a Windows "flag" for a long while. Thanks for the info  :)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 05:23 PM »
I agree, given your requirements
what one is BEST? (in terms of features that allow 100% customization WITHOUT having to go into files and editing lines after lines after lines, but in the graphical interface itself
Windows is probably best. Admittedly it does require addon tools to get the most of out of customization, but they're a lot easier to use than editing most Linux configs (and usually free). It's all about finding the right tools, really.

As far as Windows slowing down over time, I would suggest using the two computer approach as well. Have one gaming machine that you only have games on. Have another "admin" machine focused on applications and productivity. Never install unknown applications or testing applications on your main application system though. Use your gaming system for that. Why? Because you will setup your gaming system once, get it all configured, then make a full drive image of it and keep that around. Whenever your gaming machine starts to slow down just reimage it. If a lot of updates are required in your image over time, just do them first after reimaging and then make a new image from that before installing any games. You surely don't need most games to be installed forever - after you're done playing then they can go in most cases. So this can be a good solution.

I know from experience that using one machine as both a gaming and productivity system can quickly get cumbersome and bloated, especially with out lots of care and being very stringent in what you install. Who wants to be that cautious? Just setup a machine to be "disposable" in the most convenient way possible. :D

- Oshyan