ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

CNET: Last hurrah for PC-based software?

(1/5) > >>

mouser:
Piece on CNET combining some editorials by web2.0 advocated: "Last hurrah for PC-based software?"

At this week's Office 2.0 Conference in San Francisco, start-ups and speakers will be out to prove that a Web browser and online services are all a computer user needs.

--- End quote ---

http://news.com.com/2009-7345_3-6124749.html?part=rss&tag=6124749&subj=news

JavaJones:
Is anyone else rolling their eyes and chuckling? :D

- Oshyan

mouser:
im not a fan of web-based apps but i know people have been saying this is the way of the future for a while now..

JavaJones:
Exactly. For a while now. So, either it really is "just around the corner", even though it apparently has been for years, *or* it's really stupid and will always be "just around the corner". :P I just really don't think this is the way to go. Computing as a service doesn't appeal to me. Suppesedly there are market studies that indicate people prefer even more expensive monthly services to buying things outright or paying per use. But I don't know if that fits this model. If the bandwidth, security, and general speed issues can be solved it may become attractive, but I don't think that will happen for at least another full computer generation 5-10 years. And by then we may have gotten used to new things on the desktop that web-based apps again can't provide, so it may perpetuate.

- Oshyan

Lashiec:
Say NO to web based apps! ;D

Talking seriously, I don't want to live in a browser, perpetually connected to a big corporation server, with all my data available to every bad hacker around the block... There's market for web based apps, of course, and it's a excellent solution for certain scenarios, but for other things, I really prefer normal software as always.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version