Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site August 21, 2014, 09:07:13 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Check out and download the GOE 2007 Freeware Challenge productivity tools.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: what's with the scroll-bars?  (Read 5117 times)
lanux128
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: October 10, 2006, 11:30:25 PM »

have anyone noticed that sometimes the posts have scrollbars eventhough there is nothing to scroll? there isn't even a line-feed or hard return. in my case, i usually hit 'enter' twice to get rid of them. anyone with a better solution?

the mysterious scroll-bar

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 12:03:03 AM »

I haven't seen that one, but I have seen a lot of whitespace...and the longer the post the bigger the space:

http://appsapps.info/stuff/whitespace.png

And it doesn't happen all the time...but it happens often and it's a royal pain.

You don't want to know what it's like for me to look at this post:
http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=5440.0

That page has so much whitespace that SnagIt chokes on it and can't capture the page. ohmy

Those scrollbars you get would be a blessing to me.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 12:20:01 AM »

That page has so much whitespace that SnagIt chokes on it and can't capture the page. ohmy

Those scrollbars you get would be a blessing to me.
wow, i have to agree with you.. all those whitespaces is sure to get on people's nerves. so, it's just not me who is having these kind of problems.. btw, i am using firefox 1.5.x

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:35:51 AM »

that sure is weird..
can i get a clarification from people who have different browsers installed as to which browsers this occurs on? i've never seen this problem myself.
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2006, 01:07:22 AM »

Never seen it. Opera 8.52 here.

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
mwb1100
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 01:19:16 AM »

I've never seen either problem.  Currently running Firefox 1.5.0.2 on WinXP SP2.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 02:04:02 AM »

AOL Explorer 1.5 (IE 6 - XP Home SP2)

I thought it was just me having this whitespace problem.

Seems to only occur when opening pages in a new tab from a link (like the unread posts page)...and only this forum. I don't have a problem with other websites or other forums.

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 02:23:43 AM »

Seems to only occur when opening pages in a new tab from a link (like the unread posts page)...and only this forum.
in my case, if i use the delete key or backspace key then the scrollbars will appear when previewed.

maybe we can start a poll to see how many are affected by these mystery scrollbars and whitespaces. Wink

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2006, 02:27:31 AM »

app, can you check out www.simplemachines.org and see if you have the problem on their forum?
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2006, 02:51:26 AM »

tks for the tip, mouser. and on the forums, i found this. any chance it could be the reason?

i'm going to search for the whitespace problem as well..

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2006, 05:00:50 AM »

app, can you check out www.simplemachines.org and see if you have the problem on their forum?

If it has a lot of posts like this page, I do:

http://www.simplemachines.../index.php?topic=114669.0

screenshot:

http://appsapps.info/stuff/smfwhitespace.png

jgpaiva
Global Moderator

Artificial Idiocy

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2006, 07:15:51 AM »

Opera 9.02 and a bunch of previous versions. Never seen any of the bugs mentioned smiley

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 08:13:27 PM »

app, maybe it's a problem with AOL Explorer? you can try installing it on some other PC and view this forum to see if the problem is replicated.

app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2006, 12:16:37 AM »

app, maybe it's a problem with AOL Explorer? you can try installing it on some other PC and view this forum to see if the problem is replicated.

No can do...my other pc is WinME, which can't run AOLex.  Sad

And this seems to only happen with SMF forums. I would be interested in knowing if other IE based tabbed browsers have this problem too....like Maxthon, maybe?

lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2006, 01:40:41 AM »

i use maxthon as an alternate browser to view sites that give problems in firefox. why not use the same method? it's an easy way out. Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.045s | Server load: 0.07 ]