topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Anyone know a good free folder locking program?  (Read 8100 times)

wolf7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Anyone know a good free folder locking program?
« on: July 05, 2006, 10:37 AM »
I saw a similar thread posted at another site and thought, I could really use something like that too, so I figured I would ask the experts here if they know of a good free app like this.

It would be nice if it could hide and lock folders, but just to lock them so you can't open them and look inside without a password would be ok.

I'm not looking for a program like AxCrypt that will only encrypt the files in a folder, but does nothing to prevent someone from opening the folder and seeing what's inside and deleting files or renaming them etc...

Also programs like TrueCrypt are not what I'm looking for either. I want a simple to use program like AxCrypt, but will also lock or encrypt a folder, so you cannot open it and look inside it without a password.

Perhaps a lot to ask for in a free program, but I know you guys get around here and if anyone knows of such a program most likely you guys would.

Oh, and I'm running xp home.

Thanks very much for any help.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Anyone know a good free folder locking program?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 11:20 AM »
While we're on this, besides freeware, I'd be interested in any program that does this well.  Thanks.

kimmchii

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 07:27 PM »
Microsoft Private Folder 1.0

Microsoft Private Folder 1.0 is a useful tool for you to protect your private data when your friends, colleagues, kids or other people share your PC or account. With this tool, you will get one password protected folder called 'My Private Folder' in your account to save your personal files. Download and have your private folder today!

http://www.microsoft...cf-b084-f3a237b58f71

direct link:

http://download.micr...d0b438/MSPF10CHT.msi
If you find a good solution and become attached to it, the solution may become your next problem.
~Robert Anthony

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 11:05 AM »
Has anybody actually used MPF yet?  I'd love some opinions.  I'm a bit hesitant to try something that was pulled as soon as it was released.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 11:11 AM »
It was pulled due to lazy admins complaining about users being able to have a password protected and encrypted data folder. It works as intended and is a pretty decent app. DONT LOSE YOUR PASSWORD THOU!

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 11:15 AM »
Thanx Josh.

Hey Superboyac.

I don't know if Hide Folders is of any interest to you.  http://www.fspro.net/

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 11:53 AM »
I tried MPF briefly (I don't really have need for it) and it seemd to work fine.

Basically it created a folder in you User Profile root folder (C:\Doccuments and Settings\Username) and added a shortcur to the desktop.

I think the level of security was based on how good your password is (true of any system). To open the folder you double click the icon and it asks for your password and adds a tray icon from which you can control various options (including automatic locking after a period of inactivity). Once the folder is open it works like any other.

If you uninstall the utility you can still open the folder with the password (as far as I can tell - it certainly suggests that when you uninstall).

Give it a try - it doesn't affect any existing data on your system.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 12:04 PM »
Sounds good.  I will.

Thanks Carol.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 12:07 PM by skywalka »

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 04:40 PM »
Thanx Josh.

Hey Superboyac.

I don't know if Hide Folders is of any interest to you.  http://www.fspro.net/
Skywalka, I know you responded months ago, but I just saw this response.  Yes, it is exactly what I was thinking of, thank you for the suggestion.  They even have a free (but limited) version of the software.